PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu server upgrade

regulardrake
May 1st, 2012, 06:36 PM
I recently made a LAMP/Fileserver server with Ubuntu server 11.10, oh probably 3 or 4 months ago. I updated to 12.04 lastnight and everything went smoothly, but I noticed after the reboot the MOTD said i686. I thought wait a mintue didn't I install 64bit. So after scratching my head for a bit I remember having trouble installing from a USB drive, it keep failing around the 50% mark. So I gave up and tried burning the iso to a CD-R and I must of been a dumbass and burnt the 32bit that I used for my server at work instread of the 64bit one for home.

So now I am woundering is it worth wiping the drive again and reinstalling as a 64bit or just say screw it and leave it alone. So I was looking for anyone's input. Here are my specs of the PC.

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 x2 Duel Core 5400+
Memory - 2Gigs (I don't plan on upgrading to more memeory. So that would be one reason to stay 32bit)
Motherboard - Sorry can't remember the model number, its an Asus board.

Thanks

lykwydchykyn
May 1st, 2012, 06:42 PM
Not worth it, IMO. In fact, at 2GB you might even see worse performance on 64 bit due to increased memory use.

If you were 4Gb+ and running lots of heavy stuff (virtualization, e.g.), then maybe. Otherwise, stick with 32bit.

regulardrake
May 2nd, 2012, 05:48 AM
Not worth it, IMO. In fact, at 2GB you might even see worse performance on 64 bit due to increased memory use.

If you were 4Gb+ and running lots of heavy stuff (virtualization, e.g.), then maybe. Otherwise, stick with 32bit.

Thanks man, that's the answer I was looking for.