PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.4 to 10.10

Das Wanderer
May 1st, 2012, 02:36 PM
Hello I'm new to ubuntu and I was trying to update it to 10.10 and then power cut and when I tried to re-boot my pc it wouldn't load.

it loaded up the ubuntu page with the red and white lights but would go no further or would show just a black screen, with a white _.

Any advice would be appriciated.

lukeiamyourfather
May 1st, 2012, 02:52 PM
Why are you upgrading to 10.10? It is no longer supported. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS was just released and will be supported for 5 years. If you're going to go through the trouble you might as well upgrade to something that is supported (and will be for a while).

If it were my system I'd copy important data to another disk and do a clean install of 12.04 LTS. Then copy back whatever files you want to keep to the new install. Do you have another machine you can use in the process?

Das Wanderer
May 1st, 2012, 02:55 PM
Yes I have a laptop I am using now, although I am not sure how to do what you say above, there isn't any important data on the machine because its new so i hadn't had time to transfer the files across yet.

TBABill
May 1st, 2012, 04:21 PM
If your install was interrupted like that, you most likely need to do a fresh install. You can try to mount the drive and recover your files, but in the end you will need to reinstall the operating system. Now that 10.10 is not supported you need to download a newer ISO.

lukeiamyourfather
May 1st, 2012, 04:37 PM
If you have nothing on the machine you want to keep just install 12.04 LTS from scratch.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/

Das Wanderer
May 1st, 2012, 04:39 PM
If your install was interrupted like that, you most likely need to do a fresh install. You can try to mount the drive and recover your files, but in the end you will need to reinstall the operating system. Now that 10.10 is not supported you need to download a newer ISO.

how would I do that?

I can't access the computer to update it and when I put the disc in it won't seem to boot from the disc

TBABill
May 1st, 2012, 05:02 PM
If it won't boot from the disc then you have bigger issues...corrupted download of the ISO or a bad burn? Even with the bad install you have you should be able to boot the live CD. Did you verify the bios is set to read the CD/DVD first?

Slim Odds
May 1st, 2012, 06:12 PM
Why are you upgrading to 10.10? It is no longer supported. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS was just released and will be supported for 5 years. If you're going to go through the trouble you might as well upgrade to something that is supported (and will be for a while).

If it were my system I'd copy important data to another disk and do a clean install of 12.04 LTS. Then copy back whatever files you want to keep to the new install. Do you have another machine you can use in the process?
Ubuntu 10.10 is supported until April of 2013
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

lukeiamyourfather
May 1st, 2012, 07:21 PM
Ubuntu 10.10 is supported until April of 2013
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

That's a typographical error. Support just ended in April. Note the "End of Life" section further down the page that shows 10.10 as the top item.