PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black screen after installation and rebooting (12.04)

ubontik
May 1st, 2012, 04:50 AM
Black screen after installation and rebooting (12.04). I can see only white mouse cursor.

Thanks

whatthefunk
May 1st, 2012, 04:57 AM
Try booting in safe mode. Does that work?

ubontik
May 1st, 2012, 11:51 PM
Yes I was able to boot in recovery mode. But when I tried to restart again in normal mode no changes.

whatthefunk
May 2nd, 2012, 01:51 AM
What kind of graphics card do you have?

ubontik
May 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM
Presario F700, NVIDIA nForce

djrose007
May 3rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
I'm quite new to Ubuntu and love the difference.
However, I also have this problem, can't find the graphic card details but in the System Settings I find a reference to NVIDIA.

I've tried using 'Ubuntu with Linux 3.2.9-24-generic' and also same + 'Recovery Mode'. Same as above, reverts to blank screen next reboot.
What does work is if I select 'Previous Linux Version' but you have to do a power reset and start up again to get to this menu.

Is it possible to revert to the previous version of Ubuntu, which seemed to work fine. (11.10 was it?)

whatthefunk
May 4th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Presario F700, NVIDIA nForce

Ok, its most likely a graphics card driver issue.

Boot in recovery mode and get into a terminal.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current=295.33-0ubuntu1~precise~xup1

Then reboot. Should work.

ubontik
May 6th, 2012, 03:05 AM
I reinstalled of USB stick. The installation completed successfully. I tried to check for additional drivers, selected recommended. After rebooting I ran into the same problem.

whatthefunk
May 6th, 2012, 03:37 AM
I reinstalled of USB stick. The installation completed successfully. I tried to check for additional drivers, selected recommended. After rebooting I ran into the same problem.

Yes, dont select the recommended driver. The problem is that the newest nvidia driver doesnt work on many cards. This is why you have to add the new ppa and install an older driver, as I showed you in my previous posts.

ubontik
May 8th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks alot whatthefunk (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1202558)

So, I typed in the suggested code, and I got a green dot next to recommended driver. On bottom it says "The driver is activated but not currently in use"