PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Double reboot to get eth0 going?

fizgig
May 1st, 2012, 04:11 AM
Using 10.04 server on bare metal and I can't reboot remotely since the eth0 interface wont come up on every other reboot. Has anyone else seen this? I've found some posts related to this but they involve virtual machines which I'm not doing.

Krupski
May 1st, 2012, 04:27 AM
Using 10.04 server on bare metal and I can't reboot remotely since the eth0 interface wont come up on every other reboot. Has anyone else seen this? I've found some posts related to this but they involve virtual machines which I'm not doing.

Try this:

Take the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and rename it to /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.original and then reboot.

The system will re-generate that file with the correct info for your NIC and (hopefully) this will solve your problem.

If it all fails, rename your backed up file (*.original) to it's normal name.

Hope this helps.

fizgig
May 1st, 2012, 04:30 AM
By the way, I don't even see the (integrated) ethernet device in lspci on these occasions.

The device is:
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)

fizgig
May 1st, 2012, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the idea. Didn't seem to work...

Try this:

Take the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and rename it to /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.original and then reboot.

The system will re-generate that file with the correct info for your NIC and (hopefully) this will solve your problem.

If it all fails, rename your backed up file (*.original) to it's normal name.

Hope this helps.

elico
May 1st, 2012, 06:09 PM
what BCM5787driver are you using? what kernel?
you can check if the net card module is loaded.
or might reload it to make sure it's loaded.

fizgig
May 10th, 2012, 11:21 PM
The kernel being used is: 2.6.32-41-generic-pae

I'm not sure how to find out what network driver I'm using but shouldn't that not matter when it comes to lspci? Shouldn't lspci list the device on the pci bus whether a driver is installed or not?

Sometimes it's shown in the list, other times it isn't.