PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04, stops and starts.

danskmacabre
April 30th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Hi, so just installed Ubuntu on my PC.
It boots into the desktop but is VERY slow, just seems to start and stop.
Like moves for a bit, then freezes then goes again..

Windows itself works fine (dual booted with XP).

Anyone seen this behavior before?

RJARRRPCGP
May 1st, 2012, 05:23 AM
It can be a faulty HDD and Ubuntu being located in a spot where it has difficulty reading or writing data.

danskmacabre
May 1st, 2012, 08:13 AM
I have done a surface scan on that HDD and it comes up clean.

marinara
May 1st, 2012, 08:17 AM
will it play videos without overheating?

danskmacabre
May 1st, 2012, 08:20 AM
I can;t really do anything in ubuntu with it, it's REALLY slow.. like moves for a few seconds, when I actually click something it hangs for a minute +.

However everything works fine in XP, plays games, videos etc.

I THINK it might be the video drivers in Ubuntu, as it also sort of "flickers" over the various icons down the side and the top menu bar as if it's having trouble writing to the screen, but the video card is not blowing hard or anything.

It's tricky though seeing as it virtually unusable in the state it's in, it takes ages to actually do anything.

danskmacabre
May 1st, 2012, 08:21 AM
The video card is an nvidia card and the motherboard uses an Nforce chipset.

Rodney9
May 1st, 2012, 08:29 AM
Did you check in 'System Settings' for 'Additional Drivers' ?

Rodney

danskmacabre
May 1st, 2012, 08:31 AM
it took ages to do that, but I did check and noticed I had the 3rd party nvidia "recommended" driver installed.
I tried installing the other option displayed (post production version) and it was exactly the same.

danskmacabre
May 1st, 2012, 09:13 AM
I'm beginning to think it IS HDD related.
Even though a surface scan comes up ok, I have XP on a multiboot with ubuntu on the same HDD, although it's OWN partition.

I used 3rd party software to resize a partition on the HDD to free up some space for Ubuntu. Maybe the disk access is going all over the place trying to run Ubuntu. Although I can't see the disk being thrashed.

I'll try running Ubuntu from the CD (the demo version) and see if it's running better.
If that runs ok, I'll use a separate old spare HDD to run Ubuntu dedicated on that and see if that works better.

I will post an update when I know.