PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Try Ubuntu on corrupt Vista

PyroSoldat
April 30th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I am trying to install Ubuntu on a Sony VAIO, yet as stated on the header. The Vista installation is corrupt and does not boot up; so I am not able to get into windows to install Ubuntu. I was able to get into a DOS-like console command menu. I need further assistance in installing Ubuntu on this laptop. Thank You Kindly for Assistance.

darkod
April 30th, 2012, 09:21 PM
You don't need to get into windows to install ubuntu.

Do you want to install over vista, deleting all data and programs? Download the ubuntu image you want (32bit or 64bit), burn a cd from it at low speed (8x or 10x), boot with this cd and start the installation.

If you want to keep vista and have a dual boot, you need to sort out your vista problems first, but not because ubuntu needs it, but because that's best way to proceed.

PyroSoldat
April 30th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I wanted to Install Ubuntu in order to fix afterwards Vista,and to retrieve my files. The way I had it set, is by installing from a Corsair 16gb Flashdrive;

darkod
April 30th, 2012, 10:21 PM
You can retrieve files from ubuntu live mode (Try Ubuntu option). Boot with the usb stick into live mode, open the vista partition and copy what you need to an external hdd or similar.

After that you can try repairing vista, and when it is running OK you can shrink the vista partition if you don't have unallocated space on the disk, and install ubuntu as dual boot.