PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] 12.04 on Asus 701

ghashsnaga
April 30th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Hello all,

I am trying to instal lubuntu 12.04 on my asus 701 after an unsuccessful install of ubuntu 12.04. I have the 4 Gig SSD. I read about editing the ubi-prepare.py file to change the min_disk_size line. I couldn't find that line in the ubi-prepare.py file on lubuntu. Does anyone know where that line was moved to?

Thank you for your time and help!
ara

ayeomans
April 30th, 2012, 09:15 PM
I successfully installed lubuntu on an Asus 701 using the alternate install CD (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/12.04/release/lubuntu-12.04-alternate-i386.iso).

You have to answer rather more questions, usually with the default.

P.S. I could not get the regular Ubuntu to boot on the Asus 701, it stated PAE was not supported by the CPU. I found reports of other people claiming to have succeeded. I wondered if Asus changed the CPU chip during manufacture.

ghashsnaga
April 30th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks! I will give this a try and report back shortly!

ara

ghashsnaga
May 1st, 2012, 01:39 AM
Well the install worked but the wireless doesn't. I'll have to muck about and see what's going on.

Thanks for link and the info on the alt iso.

ara

wojox
May 1st, 2012, 02:57 AM
Here is what I used to install. Edit the casper/filesystem.size to say 1000000000 after you have burned it to the disk or cd. If you change it before you have to also change the md5sum.

interglossa
May 3rd, 2012, 12:45 PM
I am still looking for workarounds to the 'PAE' problem because I would rather run Pangolin than Lubuntu if possible, although people claim to love lubuntu also.

avanhel
May 24th, 2012, 08:32 AM
I have currently kubuntu running on my 701. To overcome the size issue and storage problem, I have moved the /usr and the /home folder onto 2 partitions on a 8Gb SD card. If you do that just make sure that you partition the card in Ubuntu itself and ond inside the installer.
For the wireless I was wondering what was not working. I assume that you have a small blue light as an indication.
When the wireless does not work in my case switching it off and back on sometimes works.

mastablasta
May 24th, 2012, 12:25 PM
alternately you could use mini iso and then install what you need only.