PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hesitating

Lloydb39
April 30th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Well, I was about to upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 until I started reading the posts. Is this thing ready for prime time or not? My big question is, does it use more resources than 11.10? With an older processor and only 1.5 gig or RAM, I'm not real speedy now. YouTube runs mighty slow, for example, although that might be some other problem. I would like to give it a try, especially the HUD display. Guidance?

Penguinnerd
April 30th, 2012, 08:23 PM
If system resources are your only concern, you probably won't see much of a difference.

If I planned to upgrade at all, I'd wait for the first point release (In June/July, I think).

I think a clean install would be the best option if you intend to switch over now. The upgrade process might be more reliable than it currently is after the first point release though.

jadtech
April 30th, 2012, 08:56 PM
many of the issues with the upgrade are realated to the fact you are dependent on your connection to get all the files if your computer or the server you are down loading from drops for a short moment things can cascade and go from trouble free to worst nitemare at the reboot the other problem is a known issues where for some A package will try to open ahead of time and cause a list of dependancy issues that need to be fixed after the upgrade is finished ..

if you have the means to back all your files really good and you have time go for the upgrade in the end 12.04 is ready other then nivida video driver issues runs great ..

if you have the time can take about 6 hours to run the upgrade you shouldn't leave it untended best to do it from the terminal and watch so you know where and what problems are from the start longer if there are end of upgrade issues go for it people doing clean installs are getting less issues but they are still having them its no sure way out of problems, 1.5 gb of ram should do fine ..