PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] upgrade to 12.04 have to wait 3 minutes after login

oc_alex86
April 30th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Hello,

I just upgraded my xubuntu 11.10 to 12.04 and now, when I login, I have to wait about 3 minutes before the desktop appears. Only the background image is displayed.
Where can this come from?

sparklyprgs
April 30th, 2012, 05:28 PM
At the login screen, press ctrl-alt-f3 to activate a console login and try logging in that way. Do you still get a delay? if not, then you can activate "top" in that console to monitor the cpu (just type top and the command prompt), then switch back to the GUI login with ctrl-alt-f7, login, switch back to the console and watch what might be chewing up CPU time and delaying the login.

Toz
April 30th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Also have a look at the log file ~/.xsession-errors (hidden file in your home directory) - it might yield some clues. If you don't have any access to the desktop from the gui login, you can always, from the console window:

pastebinit ~/.xsession-errors
...to copy the contents of the file up to pastebin so that you can view it online. Feel free to post back the pastebin link it generates if you'd like a second set of eyes to look at it.

oc_alex86
May 1st, 2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks for your replies.
I can indeed login instantaneously in the console.
However, in top, no process seems to use the CPU.

I don't have the ~/.xsession-errors file at all.

I also noticed this strange behavior:
If I login first in the console and then in the GUI, it boots quickly.
If I login first in the GUI, switch to console and login, it takes 3 minutes to boot in the GUI.

Tanker Bob
May 1st, 2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks for your replies.
I can indeed login instantaneously in the console.
However, in top, no process seems to use the CPU.

I don't have the ~/.xsession-errors file at all.

I also noticed this strange behavior:
If I login first in the console and then in the GUI, it boots quickly.
If I login first in the GUI, switch to console and login, it takes 3 minutes to boot in the GUI.

Sounds like you have an nVidia GeForce 6, 7, or 8800 card. I had the same problem. See this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1969754) for the situation and its resolution.

oc_alex86
May 2nd, 2012, 02:11 PM
No, I don't have one of these graphic cards.
I have a Thinkpad T420s.