PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Get rid of Unicode in console

aarta
April 30th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Hi guys, I need to get rid of Unicode in ubuntu's console, I need a pure ASCII console.

unicode_stop is not enough...

I tried:
export LANG=en_US
setfont
loadkeys it
stty -iutf8
etc etc

I'm using an italian keyboard.
I tried playing with those commands, but when I type an accented letter (like ,,) the screen prints 2 weird characters, or it prints the right accented character but when I delete it, two character are deleted instead of one.
It seems like the keyboard keeps pushing two bytes even if unicode is off.

I also have an Opensuse server, and unicode_stop works fine there... what's up with Ubuntu's console ?

aarta
April 30th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I did it at last...
apparently there's a bug in
/root/.kbd/.keymap_sv
(mine is the italian keymap, I don't know other languages, your mileage may vary)

I had to modify the following lines, adding a + in front of these character names:

keycode 4 = three +sterling
keycode 13 = +igrave asciicircum +iacute Control_asciicircum
keycode 18 = +e +E +currency Control_e Control_e Meta_e Meta_E Meta_Control_e
keycode 26 = +egrave +eacute bracketleft Escape
keycode 39 = +ograve +ccedilla at nul
keycode 40 = +agrave +degree numbersign Control_g
keycode 43 = +ugrave +section +uacute

Then in the console:
export LANG=en_US
unicode_stop

and the ASCII keyboard works as expected, at last :)

aarta
May 4th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Now this thread is one of the first results in google, nice :lolflag:
I'll write my latest discoveries then...

Different installations of Ubuntu lead to different results... but the following commands apparently are working for most of the various Linux versions:

export LANG=POSIX
export LC_ALL=POSIX
unicode_stop

POSIX because afaik it should be present in every distro, so there's no need to generate locales by adding them in "/var/lib/locales/supported.d/local" + "locale-gen"

In some Ubuntus I don't have the bug for the accented letters, but I do have it for the following characters "簧", in this case I have to correct the keymap file by hand, and play with "loadkeys it".

):P