PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04: Can't install from LiveCD, stuck at Ubuntu dots screen, no desktop

veroslav
April 30th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Hi,

I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit) from a Live CD (verified SHA-1 sum and also verified disk after burning).

After booting from the Live CD, the boot process gets stuck at the Ubuntu text and the blinking orange dots. At first, the dots are progressing (on/off) but after a while they just stuck at the white light and nothing happens after that. I never manage to get to the desktop.

The output from the lspci gives the following:

user@laptop:~$ lspci -v | grep VGA
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

I've tried booting the Live CD with both acpi=off and nomodeset boot options but it made no difference (still stuck at the Ubuntu dots and no desktop). I also tried combining these options together but no difference.

I find this strange as I have Ubuntu 11.10 (64-bit) previously installed on the same laptop without any problems and working flawlessly. :(

Could anyone give me a helping hand?

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

nothingspecial
May 1st, 2012, 10:11 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

Malvazar
May 11th, 2012, 02:51 AM
I am also having this issue. I can't get to a desktop on the live cd. I've tryed loading from flash drive and cd and nothing, just the loading screen for hours. I've got 10.04 amdx64 installed now without any problems. Can't figure out what the problem is especially scene the 32bit version loads perfectly on my laptop. Would really appreciate some incite on this issue.

jadtech
May 11th, 2012, 03:01 AM
you could try to install with the mini ISO you will end up with the same program how ever it installs with out graphics ( Texted based install) and most report its a faster install and many are having better luck with it ..

Malvazar
May 11th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Well it looks like I'm doomed to staying with 10.04. I've tried everything now...... *annoyed*

jadtech
May 11th, 2012, 04:23 AM
everything ???

the mini ISO wont install ??

just out of curiosity have you tried the boot without internet connection I havea trouble free 12.4 install I have ATI video I did the whole boot and install not allowing any internet connection as soon as everything was booted installed and booted I installed the additional drivers for the wireless and ran all the updates after ..

I burned the ISO to a dvd because the burn is actually more then can actually fit on a CD the actual boot from disc took 7 mins on a new lap top right out of the box booted win7 just long enough to delete a partition and shrink the volume to make room for ubuntu and yes the ubuntu splash screen and flashing dots seemed to be there for ever it did finally boot but it kept nagging for me to connect to the internet and for password ..

first thing I did once the live cd booted was to get to gparted and partitioned got the swap partition going and then things moved alot faster then I moved on to installing ..

Malvazar
May 14th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Just don't get it..... I'm pretty sure I've done everything now... I've tried the no Internet method, the mini iso method, usd method, cd method, and so much more I can't remember what it is anymore.... >.<
I really wish I knew why it is that I can't load the darn live cd to load, even just try the new version. How could it be so completely different from 10.04 that is can't load on my system. I have a buddy down the road that was able to get it to load on his amd 64bit system just fine. This is very irritating.

oldfred
May 14th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Did you check to see if it is a video issue?

How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Natty or later Video issues. MAFoElffen
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Some other settings:
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-blank-screen-at-startup-workaround/
* Older Intel video card: i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0
* nVidia: nomodeset
* Generic: xforcevesa or nouveau.modeset=0
* Radeon: radeon.modeset=0

Malvazar
May 16th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Okay I'm think I'm finally starting to make some headway in this most annoying problem. I got the live cd to use the "nomodeset" option on its initial startup, and it did as its always done and hung up on the splash screen, but this time I finally got an error message at least. And it goes as followed:

[112.778948] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found
[112.778959] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode5.fw" not found
[112.778965] Please visit http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware Please read and follow directions carefully to install the missing firmware

I went to the address and read it all but its was just telling me what I have to do to install my wireless card after I've install the OS initially. So now I'm more confused then ever.......

Malvazar
May 17th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Okay I finally got the darn OS to boot and install. I don't know why not after at least 4 older versions of ubuntu, but for some reason 12.04 would not boot because of my wireless card. I pull it out and tried again and suddenly it worked just fine. I'm not very please that I can't have my wireless card now though...... >.<