PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Ubuntu won't restart after being stuck during install

poumtatalia
April 30th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Hi there,

This morning I received with pleasure the proposal to upgrade to 12.04 LTS. Everything ran smooth until "Intalling the upgrades", where it got stuck. So stuck that I couldn't open the command line, nor system monitor. After waiting half an hour, I decided to reboot.
But after that reboot, no way to start Ubuntu. It goes as far as...

Stopping system V runlevel compatibility [OK]
...[OK]...
...[OK] Stopping mount network filesystem
...[OK] Stopping mount network filesystem

Then the screen goes black (reboot?), then same messages again.

I'm quite a beginner on Ubuntu and I don't really know how to solve this. I installed Ubuntu from Windows+Wubi a few months ago and going back to windows seems like a nighmare now... Anything I could do from Windows 7? Any suggestion would save my life!

Thanks so much in advance.

kc1di
April 30th, 2012, 11:18 AM
In my personal experience upgrades for one version to another have been hit and miss at best I prefer to do clean installs. just MHO.

but that being said download and burn a copy of 12.04 to disc or usb stick run the live session from that should get you to your important files. back them up to cd's or other media and do a fresh install. that's one way out of it. There are others and I'm sure some will come along with further help.

you may want to try re installing grub see if that helps.

instructions are here :https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
though this is talking about after a windows install the procedure is basically the same.