PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] black screen after update 11.10 -12.04

DGedye
April 29th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I have a dual booting system with winXP for my wife and ubuntu for me. I installed the 10.04 from a live CD and have done all the updates online since them with no problems.

After I upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04 I am greeted by my usual login screen. After I enter my password the screen goes blank, with only the mouse cursor visible.

MB ASUS N68PV-GS
AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1200
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 7050 PV / NVIDIA nForce 630a

drspaceman767
April 30th, 2012, 12:09 AM
I had the same thing happen to me. My computer is a dual boot with a separate hard disk for Ubuntu. Luckily I didn't have anything important on my Ubuntu hard disk, so I got the live CD for 12.04 and did a clean install of it. I lost some settings and a few programs I had been playing with, but nothing serious.

I know that isn't very helpful to you if there are files you wish to keep, but it is a solution.

DGedye
April 30th, 2012, 02:48 AM
I have both partitions on the same physical disk, but I should be able to use WinXP to download and build a live CD and then do a clean install in the ubuntu partition, but thats a pita since I've downloaded 12.04 once already.

DGedye
April 30th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Also if I use grub to boot into recovery mode and try failsafex I get the message

vesa: Ignoring device with a bound kernal driver
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
Fatal server error:
no screens found.

I also found that I can login using the Ubuntu 2D option on the login prompt box.