PDA

View Full Version : "Has an ubuntu drip"

Monotoko
April 29th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Hey! As you can see below my name to the side, my current title is "Has an ubuntu drip"... it's been irritating me for a while, that "n" should not be there. Can somebody sort the titles out?

Mono

Penguinnerd
April 29th, 2012, 07:42 PM
This is a common misunderstanding. It's actually correct.

It's not pronounced you-buntu, it's ooh-buntu. Therefore, "an" is correct.

That should clear it up.

Edit: Actually, I suppose you already knew that about the pronunciation. It's proper english to use "an" when the word starts with a vowel sound other than y (but in the case of "you-buntu", "a" would have been correct).

hakermania
April 29th, 2012, 07:48 PM
heh, I've never thought of 'you-buntu', 'I-buntu', 'He-buntu' xD

KiwiNZ
April 29th, 2012, 08:06 PM
The titles are for humor. Don't lose sleep over it.

jmore9
April 29th, 2012, 08:13 PM
When are we going to have an Oops-buntu lol

sdowney717
April 29th, 2012, 08:20 PM
'ubunut'
Sometimes I write it this way depending how I feel about it at the moment.

dniMretsaM
April 29th, 2012, 08:34 PM
The titles are for humor. Don't lose sleep over it.

It's not wrong, anyway.

forrestcupp
April 29th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Hey! As you can see below my name to the side, my current title is "Has an ubuntu drip"... it's been irritating me for a while, that "n" should not be there. Can somebody sort the titles out?

Mono

I'm just so used to pronouncing it the right way that I didn't even know what you were talking about. :)

KiwiNZ
April 29th, 2012, 08:38 PM
It's not wrong, anyway.

It does not matter

codingman
April 29th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Hilarious thread! At the beginning I had no idea what you where talking about :mrgreen:

codingman
April 29th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Oh, and what does NZ stand for?

Linuxratty
April 30th, 2012, 12:21 AM
I'm just so used to pronouncing it the right way that I didn't even know what you were talking about. :)

Same here..Going:"Whaaaaa?"

CharlesA
April 30th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Oh, and what does NZ stand for?
New Zealand.

Rasa1111
April 30th, 2012, 12:27 AM
the n is supposed to be there.
I feel illiterate when I say it without the n. lol

TBABill
April 30th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Actually the "n" should not be there. It should read "Has a Ubuntu drip". The error is that it should be "a" not "an"...that's the "n" the OP was talking about.

The sentence reads "an Ubuntu drip", which is gramatically incorrect. Ubuntu is used as an adjective. Remove it from the sentence and see if it still reads correctly. "Has an drip". Sound correct? Nope. The OP is correct. The letter n in the word "an" should be removed to be technically correct.

Since they are for fun, however, who cares? :)

Giant Speck
April 30th, 2012, 01:21 AM
The sentence reads "an Ubuntu drip", which is gramatically incorrect. Ubuntu is used as an adjective. Remove it from the sentence and see if it still reads correctly. "Has an drip". Sound correct? Nope. The OP is correct. The letter n in the word "an" should be removed to be technically correct.
I really hope you are joking.

lisati
April 30th, 2012, 01:33 AM
This is almost becoming a recurring discussion about the correct pronunciation of Ubuntu. If you're interested, you can hear Nelson Mandela say the word at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7iOKZe9oN8

The way Mr Mandela says the word, "an" is totally appropriate.

With that, thread closed.