PDA

View Full Version : Any Luck returning your bundled Copy of Windows XP?

cptjaben
June 15th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Hi I'm planning on buying a new laptop, but the one that I want comes bundled with Windows Xp Home edition. I have heard of people citing the microsoft EULA in order to return their copy of Windows in order for a refund. Has anyone sucessfully done this and if so can you advice me on how one might go about doing this.

Thanks,
cptjaben

Wallakoala
June 15th, 2006, 04:01 AM
There was an article somewhere about someone doing this, but it is a lot of effort.

If someone could find the article, I think it was posted on these forums awhile ago.

Arnaud_B
June 15th, 2006, 04:05 AM
I found that googling if it helps...
http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/toshiba.html
A.

jason.b.c
June 15th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Hi I'm planning on buying a new laptop, but the one that I want comes bundled with Windows Xp Home edition. I have heard of people citing the microsoft EULA in order to return their copy of Windows in order for a refund. Has anyone sucessfully done this and if so can you advice me on how one might go about doing this.

Thanks,
cptjaben

How exactly could you do that..?? I mean , How do you plan returning something that is preinstalled..???

cptjaben
June 15th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Well basically my plan was to before booting up, read the EULA which will hopefully have something like this in it, "If you do not agree to the terms of this EULA, PC Manufacturer and Microsoft are unwilling to license the SOFTWARE PRODUCT to you. In such event, you may not use or copy the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, and you should promptly contact PC Manufacturer for instructions on return of the unused products(s) for a refund.'' I would then not agree with it and then delete the windows partition and install ubuntu. Then i would contact the manufacturer and tell them that i did not agree with the EULA and ask them for instructions on the return of the unused products for a refund. I'm wondering though if this has actually worked for people because i have heard of it being done before.

PapaWiskas
June 15th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Not to advertise for any manufacturer but I have bought two laptops, one Sony Vaio, that I currently use, and a Dell that I bought 2 years ago. I ordered both of those with NO OS installed at all. It was about a 100 bucks cheaper when I did. You have to specify when ordering that it was you want to do.

Compucore
June 15th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Well he provided the receipt of the computer that had it installed on the hard drive. Even though you can theoritically send the hard drive back by taking it out of the machine and they can wipe it clean and send it back to you empty. But its because of the documentation and of the licensing that he had and the price of the computer. I think they can trace the serial number of the computer as well since there is always a serial number on the invoice depending on which vendor you use. I have seen several invioces up here from local stores sthat the company that I used to work for that had them on there.

Compucore

How exactly could you do that..?? I mean , How do you plan returning something that is preinstalled..???

jason.b.c
June 15th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Well he provided the receipt of the computer that had it installed on the hard drive. Even though you can theoritically send the hard drive back by taking it out of the machine and they can wipe it clean and send it back to you empty. But its because of the documentation and of the licensing that he had and the price of the computer. I think they can trace the serial number of the computer as well since there is always a serial number on the invoice depending on which vendor you use. I have seen several invioces up here from local stores sthat the company that I used to work for that had them on there.

Compucore

Ok, So then who are you sending the hard drive back to, Microsoft or the company you bought the computer from..??

And they'll actually agree to do that.??

So then who pay's for the shipping..??

Compucore
June 15th, 2006, 05:53 AM
The manufacturer that you got it from. as an example if its like ECS, Toshiba, ASUS laptop. And you bought it at They could easily ship back a HDD without os on it and ship the money at the same time. Its not that hard to pull out the hard drive from the computers these days. It takes a couple of screws and a bracket that holds it in there. I've replaced several since 2000 Even my old Compaq contura is not that hard. And thats on a 486 100mhz laptop.

Ok, So then who are you sending the hard drive back to, Microsoft or the company you bought the computer from..??

And they'll actually agree to do that.??

So then who pay's for the shipping..??

Mr.Auer
June 15th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I tried to return my OEM XP cd to MS for free, but couldnt find a way to do it..Surfed around MS webpages for coupIe hours, endlessly following links..No go :) would have included a note that "this software did not work up to expectations so Im returning it, never to touch your products again"...

As it is, I simply took a big, shiny sharp knife (a hunters knife to be exact) thru the disc several times, which caused deep satisfaction...And threw it in the trash. Of course this is not a nice option if you dont want to pay for it, mine had been in use for 2 years at this point ;)

cptjaben
June 15th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all the input, I Think i wil order it and give returning it a go. please leave more input/advice if you have more.

Thanks,
cptjaben

Wallakoala
June 15th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Not to advertise for any manufacturer but I have bought two laptops, one Sony Vaio, that I currently use, and a Dell that I bought 2 years ago. I ordered both of those with NO OS installed at all. It was about a 100 bucks cheaper when I did. You have to specify when ordering that it was you want to do.

You mean on the website? Because there is no option on the website. Did you call them up instead?

Compucore
June 16th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Call me an old fuddy duddy on things like that. But couldn't you have used it like for a coffee table protector for your coffee or something. Maybe a Tea cup protector?? I remember hearing people use the AOL CD's for that. I don't remember who had mentioned it. But I remember reading it on the net that AOL had for one of its version release a CD in a metal jacet of some sort.I don't remember teh exact details about it.

COmpucore

PapaWiskas
June 16th, 2006, 03:23 AM
You mean on the website? Because there is no option on the website. Did you call them up instead?

Yes I called and was very firm with the salesperson in both cases as to what I wanted. They will do it, you just have to be very insistent.