PDA

View Full Version : Who said that Ubuntu is user friendly ?

brshadow
April 29th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I am curious to know who said that ubuntu is user friendly. Really.

You cannot run the computer if you dont know unix commands, you cannot install even programms.

Moreover you have to be lucky in order for your drivers to get 100% from your hardware as in windows.

Why do people have to learn all those commands and try to ajust the system so much, why cant the developers do it for them. You can't say they can, the only distribution of linux that is TRULLY user friendly is android.

And don't tell me that if I want something simple I shouldn't pick linux. The reason that i picked ubuntu and not fedora or openSUSE or something else is that I want something easy. But as it seems its not.

Support ? For two days I got a problem and and I cant' use my computer and people don't seem to be much helpfull although I posted it many times. Now I am forced to roll back to windows, because Ubuntu just don't works and I got no help.

Why can't Ubuntu be simple ? Not having to open the terminal and write a bunch of commands everytime I want to install something ?

nothingspecial
April 29th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

coffeecat
April 29th, 2012, 03:37 PM
You cannot run the computer if you dont know unix commands, you cannot install even programms.
---
Why can't Ubuntu be simple ? Not having to open the terminal and write a bunch of commands everytime I want to install something ?

I usually install stuff with a couple of mouse clicks. :wink: Try the Ubuntu Software Centre.

codemaniac
April 29th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Hello brshadow ,

You dont need to be a Dennis Ritchie to run Ubuntu in your desktop .There are thousand of users around without programming skills living happily with ubuntu .

albert s
April 29th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Hello brshadow ,

You dont need to be a Dennis Ritchie to run Ubuntu in your desktop .There are thousand of users around without programming skills living happily with ubuntu .

and Im one of them,
I could never go back to microsoft or windows, hardly anything works out of the box with windows, you have to install drivers from CD or wherever, almost everything I do with Ubuntu just works.
try installing windows fresh on a computer and see how many updates you need, oh, but before that, you need to install drivers for your graphics card, and CD/DVD drive, and your wi-fi and and and and, and everything else you want to work.
Im sure if you wanted to pay for tech support you would get your problems sorted a lot quicker, well, why not, you pay for support when you buy your microsoft OS, except they dont really care that much if it goes wrong on you, they already have your money.
as for problems with Ubuntu, most of mine are of my own doing, it works perfectly fine for me until I try messing with it, thewn its normally nothing major and I get it sorted, or the good folks how here point out how much of a numpty I am and have it sorted for me in half a dozen keystrokes.
so before you start slating the excellent FREE work that is UBUNTU and its support network, try shelling out a few hundred of your currency and paying for support, as I said, you pay for the rubbish that comes from MS, and its still rubbish, even with the tech support you pay for.

Artificial Intelligence
April 29th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Who said that Ubuntu is user friendly ?

I do.

/thread

Paqman
April 29th, 2012, 05:41 PM

Yes you can. You shouldn't ever have to open a terminal for anything if you don't want to. Unfortunately geeks often give help in the form of terminal commands, which is of dubious use to newbies IMO. Traditionally Linux is a server OS, so a lot of the more skilled (ie: professional) users are used to administering machines through the terminal, and there's a certain amount of geek street cred attached to it.

Ubuntu Software Centre contains thousands of programs, installable with a couple of mouse clicks.

Moreover you have to be lucky in order for your drivers to get 100% from your hardware as in windows.

Driver support in Windows is terrible. The chance of having 100% of your hardware work on a fresh Windows install is much, much lower than on Linux. On Windows you'll need to manually install a ton of drivers to get things working. On Ubuntu chances are most things will work straight away, with most of the rest simply requiring you to open up Hardware Drivers and let it do its thing. It's quite unusual to have anything that can't be sorted quickly these days.

Irihapeti
April 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Looking at your other messages, I notice that it seems that you have some hardware compatibility problems.

That's unfortunate and frustrating, I agree. However, it doesn't follow that everyone else has the same problems and is in the same boat.

You may just have to stick to Windows with this particular machine. If you want to run Ubuntu, you may need to use another computer. Whether it's important enough for you to go to that kind of trouble - that's entirely your decision.

Good luck, whichever way you go.

haqking
April 29th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Yes you can. You shouldn't ever have to open a terminal for anything if you don't want to. Unfortunately geeks often give help in the form of terminal commands, which is of dubious use to newbies IMO. Traditionally Linux is a server OS, so a lot of the more skilled (ie: professional) users are used to administering machines through the terminal, and there's a certain amount of geek street cred attached to it.

Ubuntu Software Centre contains thousands of programs, installable with a couple of mouse clicks.

Driver support in Windows is terrible. The chance of having 100% of your hardware work on a fresh Windows install is much, much lower than on Linux. On Windows you'll need to manually install a ton of drivers to get things working. On Ubuntu chances are most things will work straight away, with most of the rest simply requiring you to open up Hardware Drivers and let it do its thing. It's quite unusual to have anything that can't be sorted quickly these days.

I agree.

I would also like to add, that the main reason people often supply terminal commands is that they are Desktop Environment agnostic and often distro agnostic, rather than try to figure out or confuse a user with instructions for something they dont have.

But i always tell people, use what works for you or that you can make work ;)

Peace

craig10x
April 29th, 2012, 06:53 PM
who said you need to use the terminal to install programs? Haven't you heard of the ubuntu software center?

ubuntu (and linux) is hardly a terminal-centric os....there are tons of ubuntu users that have NEVER use the terminal for anything...

i have used it a few times in rare situations, but i always install programs with the software center...works perfectly fine...and you can remove programs in there too!

zandman
April 29th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I don't know who said it, but i will answer with "yes, Ubuntu is user friendly" when asked. If you have an average computer Ubuntu will work right of the box. Only with very old or extremely outrageous pieces of equipment you'll run into problems. But in a lot of cases then there will be enough help coming from the forums to help you resolve it.
In a lot of cases the road to resolving starts with a very detailed and correct description of the problem one is struggling with.

KiwiNZ
April 29th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I am curious to know who said that ubuntu is user friendly. Really.

Why do people have to learn all those commands and try to ajust the system so much, why cant the developers do it for them. You can't say they can, the only distribution of linux that is TRULLY user friendly is android.

And don't tell me that if I want something simple I shouldn't pick linux. The reason that i picked ubuntu and not fedora or openSUSE or something else is that I want something easy. But as it seems its not.

Support ? For two days I got a problem and and I cant' use my computer and people don't seem to be much helpfull although I posted it many times. Now I am forced to roll back to windows, because Ubuntu just don't works and I got no help.

Incase you missed it ...... Ubuntu is user friendly

coffeecat
April 29th, 2012, 08:48 PM
As Irihapeti pointed out, the OP's post is coloured by the problems they are experiencing with dual graphics on their laptop, although this isn't clear from their first post in this thread. It is understandable that people, myself included, should have thought that they were referring to the usual run of installable applications.

@brshadow, I apologise for not recognising your username from your other thread when I first posted here. Ubuntu is user-friendly, and most things can be installed more easily than in Windows, but you have the misfortune to have a laptop with dual-graphics, which was developed by the hardware manufacturers with only Windows in mind. It has been a nightmare for developers to get this abomination concept working in Linux, and can be a nightmare for ordinary users too. I agree that this does not give the impression of user-friendliness, but this is not typical of the usual Ubuntu experience.

mamamia88
April 30th, 2012, 05:37 AM
well compared to other distros and even windows it is user friendly. try to play media file here let me fetch and install that for you. need an app simply search for it and click install. you get the point. when i installed debian the other day i had to add a repo then enter a few commands in the terminal to get my wifi driver installed. and then afterwards i had to install network manager which wasn't included in disk 1. when trying to install network manager i couldn't continue because it still included the cd in my sources and i don't have a cd drive. so i had to remove the cd from sourses.list. try getting someone with no linux experience or guidance to figure that out without the help of google. heck installing ubuntu from scratch now is even easier than windows which is a cakewalk for anyone with half a brain.