PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade 10.04 to 12.04

FGG
April 29th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Just upgraded my Ubuntu 10.04 to Ubuntu 12.04. I do not like it. Since I am running multiple Operating Systems, I played with 11.04 and 11.10 and I did not like those.

I am also using Windows Vista Ultimate and, to tell you the truth. I love it. If Ubuntu 10.04 had a better Word Processor, I believe, I would dump Windows Vista. But until then, I will use Windows Vista Ultimate since I also do not like Windows 7 and have absolutely no desire to obtain Windows 8.

I can live with Ubuntu 10.04 very easily. I think it is a great product. I have played with Fedora, Suse, Mint, Centos etc.and I think Ubuntu 10.04 tops them all.

I would like to make a suggestion to Canonical (I don't think I spelled that correctly). I would continue producing, i.e., improving Ubuntu 10.04, which I call a COMPUTER Operating System that requires the use of a mouse. I would also, of course, produce the Ubuntu 12.04 variety of software that apparently is built to use your finger on a touch screen. I do not believe I will ever use something like that - just my opinion.

tmaranets
April 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I have two questions for you. #1, why are you staying with Vista when 7 is a whole lot better.? #2, why do you believe that 10.04 tops 11.04, 11.10, and 12.04?(especially 12.04)

blitzit
April 29th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Your opinion is justifiable considering the fact the Unity interface after 10.04 isn't very attractive to a person who loves the conventional Linux looks (I share that opinion with yours, although less vehemently). I also agree with the limited word-processing abilities of Open-Office as compared to MS Word. I do not quite agree with Vista being better than Windows 7 though.

However, after having worked with 10.04 for 2 years and having upgraded to 12.04 (on the day of it's release), I would suggest you give 12.04 a try.
1) You could replace the Unity Interface (lightdm) with some other desktop interface that suits your taste.
2) OpenOffice has been replaced with LibreOffice (but is pretty much similar). You can even install MS Word using Wine in case your need to remain with it is so dire.
3) Support for 10.04 will be continued for another year (3 years support for LTS, remember?), so you could remain with it for another year.

jadtech
April 29th, 2012, 01:48 PM
i really dont under stand why some do this at all if all you have to do is complain about what is new why would you bother going through hour of installing something new to bitch about it ..

if to you XP or vista is the best and only system that could ever do the job and you cant evolve with technology there is no doubt that you too shall be found preserved in the museum where your out dated technology lives next to the other dinosaurs..

though I do agree the latest and greatest is not always the best if your still sitting in the place you were 10 or 20 year before life your not just waiting for new to become stable your watching life pass you by ..

at this point technology is at a big cross road not saying the computer or operating system as we know them are going to disappear over night but it is for sure losing support as companies start to support it less and less and move where the dollars are for survival there own survival and the good of everyone who makes money from the industry includes most of us in one way or another today even down to waitresses in small diner who have there jobs because of the lunch crowd from the local stores and factories :)

at this point you might as well find a flavour of Linux to live with or get use to computing with smart phone and tablets don't look much like apple or Microsoft will be supporting the mouse driven desk top even close to the way they were starting in October with win 8 and beyond ..

most manufactures of desk tops and lap tops are rushing in the same direction more each day the biggest problem with this is 90% of all of them no matter the name brand are all made by the same parent company..

Buddhika Udaya Sri
April 29th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Most of the time when new version is released or new features are added ,most of the people will reject it . As an example if you are using face book when they, change their interface most of the people blame fb & as same as for it's time line. But now most of the users love it's interface. Why don't you took the challenge & try 12.04.

In my opinion for vista & win7 , actually win 7 is better than vista.. But always Linux is best !!!!!!!:lolflag:

kalkems
April 29th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I have moved with the times from 7.04 step by step to 12.04. There are 2 reasons for this, 1 is that I enjoy it. The second is that 2007 we moved from mswin to Ubuntu, at work - I administer a network at a school in Sweden - approx. 50 users. The idea was that we would save money. Being a Linux novice I had to rely on consultants and, honestly, they did not solve the problems instead created a costly transition that I regret today. Today I would not have relyed on consultants and I would have slowly transitioned to Linux.

Our greatest problem has been printeing to our copier, e-Studio350c. The problem has been pdf printing - sometimes it works and sometimes not - Russion rolette!

I decided to install one computer using 64bit install and btrfs file system. It tool 21 minutes to install with one problem "error:sparse file not allowed" - solved by adjusting /etc/grub.d/00_header. (Doesn't really solve the problem - just hides it.) This install works perfectly and I personally like Unity and Gnome3. I have also tryed Cinnamon on 12.04 and it works perfectly - (my wife doesn't like Unity or Gnome3).

On the second laptop, Dell Latitude D420, I installed 32bit 12.04, (ext4). The install took a little longer but worked perfectly.

Unless one works with games, advanced Office implementation, advanced Photoshop I cannot see the sense in running mswin. I see no reason personally to revert to mswin and my family swear by Ubuntu.

Myrddin Emrys
April 29th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I would like to make a suggestion to Canonical (I don't think I spelled that correctly). I would continue producing, i.e., improving Ubuntu 10.04, which I call a COMPUTER Operating System that requires the use of a mouse.

There is absolutely no chance that Canonical will do this. However, there's nothing to stop you installing an actively developed 'traditional' desktop on the 12.04 foundation, which amounts to the same thing. I especially like MATE (= Gnome 2) and Xfce:

http://www.howtogeek.com/110052/how-to-install-the-mate-desktop-go-back-to-gnome-2-on-ubuntu/

http://complete-concrete-concise.com/ubuntu-2/ubuntu-12-04/ubuntu-12-04-how-to-install-the-xfce-desktop

LXDE, KDE, the 'classic' gnome-panel and Mint's Cinnamon are also worth trying. Three of these also have their own official spinoff distributions in the Ubuntu family (Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu). What more choice could you want?

kalkems
April 29th, 2012, 03:12 PM
An addition to my windy contrabution is that I tried uppgrading between versions from the beginning but found that a clean install was preferable.

jdeca57
April 29th, 2012, 03:49 PM
There is a difference between an OS and an application. You like MS Office, I can understand that. It's a working environment you are used to. Why the faster Windows 7 or the unreleased version 8 would be worse is unclear. I upgraded a Vista PC the first moment I had the chance, and I really don't think that's a matter of opinion: it's really running faster on W7. Back to Ubuntu. LibreOffice is different from Office. It's sufficient for me, and really, for 99% of the rest of us. If that is the deal breaker, so be it. But you can run LibreOffice as well on 11.04 as on 10.04 and 12.04. And the toolbar can be hidden in 12.04, and it works perfectly with a mouse. So, is your issue is one with Windows 8... ;-)

jadtech
April 29th, 2012, 04:46 PM
if there is a program that could be better the source code is avalable freely you can make it better ad your own bits and peices if you like 10.04 why not continue to change it yourself isn't that the positive side of the free software ???

you dont have to wish and want just up and make it your way ...

ryanwolf74
April 30th, 2012, 12:12 AM
if there is a program that could be better the source code is avalable freely you can make it better ad your own bits and peices if you like 10.04 why not continue to change it yourself isn't that the positive side of the free software ???

you dont have to wish and want just up and make it your way ...

I really dislike it when people say that. Not everyone knows how to code. It's that simple.