PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 10.04 and don't have global menu.

vigneshs
April 29th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Hi,

I got a new laptop with Ubuntu 10.04 installed, I upgraded and now I dont have the global menu.
I tried installing and unistaling the related packages.
And I think because of this the HUD is not working either....
what do you think might be the problem?
What can i do to solve it?

grahammechanical
April 29th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Please us tell what packages you have re-installed. Then we will not suggest doing something that you have already tried.

What do you understand the global menu to be?

Have you run Additional Drivers? You may need a proprietary video driver.

By the way, the HUD does not work in a certain sense. We have to invoke it by pressing Alt. Even then it needs to wake up to give us a quick response when we press Alt. The HUD is limited in its functionality by the need for programs to work with it. Some programs are not yet HUD aware. So, we cannot use HUD with those programs.

Regards.

mdwy62
April 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I just moved up from 10.04 to 12.04 and am impressed, but HUD does not seem to do anything. Pressing Alt pulls up the bar that I can type into )with the swirling circle on the left), but there are no completions or suggestions. Am I using it incorrectly? I have tried using it with Firefox, Thunderbird, Nautilus, and Gedit.

I have installed gnome-tweak-settings (advanced-settings) and turned off "Have file manager manage the desktop" so that I could use compiz (ccsm) to have multiple wallpapers. Does that break HUD?

I have read elsewhere that creating a clean $Home might reactivate HUD, but this seems like a big deal to me (in terms of group permissions, network identities, cloud syncing, and I don't know what else) especially since I have had this system since gutsy.

fenixkane
May 1st, 2012, 09:29 PM
http://askubuntu.com/questions/126295/how-do-i-enable-global-menus-and-fix-hud-after-upgrading-to-12-04-from-10-04

Hope this helps.