PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] caps lock only stays on consistantly but only under main user

Alexandria Nova
April 29th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else in the forms. I did do a search and could only find older posts and none of their solutions worked for me. I am relatively new to the Ubuntu operating system so please bare with me is this solution is simple. I have a decent hold on finding my way around. If you need any information I will try my best to give you all that I know. Do bump me if you have a thread that already answered this particular problem.

I recently updated my little Colby Netbook to 12.04 yesterday. Loved the visual and cooed over the new perks. However I have a strange problem. Under my administrator login my caps lock button is registered as constantly depressed. Even when I press it it remains pressed and my "Number keys' that is a subchoice on the right side of my keyboard are the only things that pop up. Every thing that has a 'sub choice; (they pop up as blue numbers or symbols) is the only thing I can type (the caps lock button light also simply changes from blue to pink, never heard of that before) . I even tried deactivating my caps button by both means (terminal and via settings). No cigar.
However when I log in as a guest I have none of these problems (which is where I'm typing this question up).

So my question is: Does anyone have any ideas why this could be happening? Could I have hit some strange sequence of buttons I didn't know about and done this? Or is this a odd bug that I've some how triggered? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

oboedad55
April 29th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else in the forms. I did do a search and could only find older posts and none of their solutions worked for me. I am relatively new to the Ubuntu operating system so please bare with me is this solution is simple. I have a decent hold on finding my way around. If you need any information I will try my best to give you all that I know. Do bump me if you have a thread that already answered this particular problem.

I recently updated my little Colby Netbook to 12.04 yesterday. Loved the visual and cooed over the new perks. However I have a strange problem. Under my administrator login my caps lock button is registered as constantly depressed. Even when I press it it remains pressed and my "Number keys' that is a subchoice on the right side of my keyboard are the only things that pop up. Every thing that has a 'sub choice; (they pop up as blue numbers or symbols) is the only thing I can type (the caps lock button light also simply changes from blue to pink, never heard of that before) . I even tried deactivating my caps button by both means (terminal and via settings). No cigar.
However when I log in as a guest I have none of these problems (which is where I'm typing this question up).

So my question is: Does anyone have any ideas why this could be happening? Could I have hit some strange sequence of buttons I didn't know about and done this? Or is this a odd bug that I've some how triggered? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Alexandria, welcome to the forums. When you say "administrator" do you mean as normal user? Or do you have the "root" account enabled?

Alexandria Nova
April 29th, 2012, 06:43 AM
To be honest I am not sure. The net book was a gift to me and the previous user had pulled the whole oh if I delete my login it'll be ok stunt about 3 months ago. Which of course caused a few issues which I managed to clear up as my "newuser" was now "admin." So I am not sure if the root user is still him or myself. I would assume it's me as I have all administrative rights. I'm sorry if that doesn't help.