PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 12.04 Precise. What do you think?

Bandit
April 29th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Just putting together a pole to see what everyones opinion of Precise is.
So far I am very impressed and voting Exclent.

Only quirks I have Global Menu still needs some work and I dislike the Scrollbar overlays becuase even on my 27" at 1080 they are hard to see and a pain to opperate. But I will still vote exelent as those are just my opinions.

inspiredbylasers
April 29th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Improved compatibility with MBA, all driver issues resolved.

Best,
Y.

Version Dependency
April 29th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Where is option for "Best Ubuntu Ever!"?

Bandit
April 29th, 2012, 03:03 AM

Its already best ever. Dont need to vote on that :lolflag:

AbdRahim
April 29th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Still hate Unity. Don't use it. also prefer old scrollbar and panel. Need the simple gui method for changing the mouse cursor back. Upgrade essentially painless. Kudos to the team.

Perfect Storm
April 29th, 2012, 05:59 AM

+1

I've been switching between Gnome Shell and Unity in 11.10. But in 12.04 I'm quite amazed by Unity.

ubuntu27
April 29th, 2012, 06:37 AM
I love Ubuntu precise. It is a excellent release.

My only beef with it now is bug#982771 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/982771), See this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960391).

I hope it gets fixed soon...

*Fingers crossed*

wolfen69
April 29th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Without hesitation, I voted excellent. Perfect as always.

wolfen69
April 29th, 2012, 07:08 AM
+1

I've been switching between Gnome Shell and Unity in 11.10. But in 12.04 I'm quite amazed by Unity.
Has Unity grown on you too? Those that say it is a cell phone OS, don't truly understand. I love it. I see the light and canonical's vision. Your alternative is windows and mac. Be my guest.

kohoutek1
April 29th, 2012, 07:21 AM
I'm one of those who got turned off by Unity when I first tried it in 11.10. I eventually uninstalled it and became a dedicated user of GNOME Shell.

But after upgrading to 12.04 I decided to install Unity and give it a fair shake. I'm using it now, and so far, I'm thinking I may be able to get used to it.

Thanks to MyUnity and Unsettings, I'm able to configure the look and feel of Unity much more than before. I like that. Panel, windows, and icons are much more configurable now.

It seems more solid than before too. No stability issues so far in Unity. GNOME Shell, by comparison, has more bugs at the moment.

If Canonical will continue to allow more flexibility, I'll probably grow to like Unity.

wolfen69
April 29th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I'm one of those who got turned off by Unity when I first tried it in 11.10. I eventually uninstalled it and became a dedicated user of GNOME Shell.

But after upgrading to 12.04 I decided to install Unity and give it a fair shake. I'm using it now, and so far, I'm thinking I may be able to get used to it.

Thanks to MyUnity and Unsettings, I'm able to configure the look and feel of Unity much more than before. I like that. Panel, windows, and icons are much more configurable now.

It seems more solid than before too. No stability issues so far in Unity. GNOME Shell, by comparison, has more bugs at the moment.

If Canonical will continue to allow more flexibility, I'll probably grow to like Unity.

Become assimilated and have fun.

goldshirt9
April 29th, 2012, 08:33 AM
well it is the best version for a long time in my opinion.:p
installed fast, ran fast, no problems on any software i used.
It turned me back to Ubuntu Unity.

I had only 1 problem and couldnt find a easy way to fix it.

If i made the top panel transparent then the menu icons would show up all open programs.
i.e
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg70/goldshirt9/desktops/Screenshotfrom2012-04-27183905-1.jpg
I just couldnt find a way to stop it, and why does the desktop always show what prog was open ?
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg70/goldshirt9/desktops/Screenshotfrom2012-04-27183846-1.jpg
other than that a great system.

wolfen69
April 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I had only 1 problem and couldnt find a easy way to fix it.

Is it worth getting upset over? Seems like not-worth-it kinda stuff.

goldshirt9
April 29th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I agree. I can and will live with it .
It is an excellent system

Sijmen
April 29th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I vote for good.... we strive for excellence, but we can never achieve it. On to the next release :twisted: :p

wojox
April 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Made of Awesome.

makitso
April 29th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Been testing 12.04 using xubuntu, lubuntu, and ubuntu to see what shell I was going to go with.

Main desktop was 11.04. Did a clean install of 12.04 and gnome3 yesterday. With my LAMP environment took about 3 hours. However, am done now and everything works well. Seems very solid. Had an HP 6500 scanner problem on my thinkpad but desktop updated the driver and now it works.

Overall, I think its a great release and very solid.

Perfect Storm
April 29th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Has Unity grown on you too? Those that say it is a cell phone OS, don't truly understand. I love it. I see the light and canonical's vision. Your alternative is windows and mac. Be my guest.

Aye. I really like how the unity launcher handles multiply windows of the same application. I work with Gimp I can easily have 20+ Gimp windows open. One left click on the Gimp icon in Unity launcher and it display all the Gimp Windows in order. So it's very easy to find what you're looking for. Much easier than Gnome2 and Gnome Shell.

I don't know if it's a cell phone OS? It works great when I'm working with keyboard or mouse on resolution 1680x1050 and 1980x1200.

Uncle Spellbinder
April 29th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I voted EXCELLENT.

I like Unity a lot. Thought it was just OK in 11.10. But It's grown on me and using it is a breeze now. I've had no driver issues at all. Wireless and nVidia drivers were fine out-of-the-box. Found my Brother printer drivers and installed without issue.

Simply put, 12.04 is a rock solid release. So much so that I've clean installed Precise, wiping Windows from my drive in the process. 100% Ubuntu now.

No windows, no regrets.

White Rasta
April 29th, 2012, 02:00 PM
After running 10.04 on my Dell 1525 for the last 2 years, I swapped my hdd with a new 500 gig hybred and did a clean install of 12.04.

After 2 days of tweaking and installing apps I'm quite happy with the result.

This thing boots lightening quick!

keithpeter
April 29th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I've voted Good, because if you vote 'excellent', there is only one way to go next time :twisted:

Looking forward to watching the HUD develop, and to a gradual return of control over settings as Unity matures...

Like many here, I'm flipping between Gome-Shell and Unity.

Bandit
April 29th, 2012, 02:32 PM
A lot of good responces here. Looks like the votes show for themselves. Precise is a mouth full of awesomeness! :guitar:

ubiquitin.jf
April 29th, 2012, 02:49 PM
It's almost as great as Dapper was.

Almost.

CharlesA
April 29th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Works great outside of one small issue that I have run into, but the workaround is easy.

kevdog
April 29th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Works great outside of one small issue that I have run into, but the workaround is easy.

Details?

CharlesA
April 29th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Details?

I made a thread here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1968626

Matthewthegreat
April 29th, 2012, 06:28 PM
This release is EXCELLENT!

In 11.04 I hated unity, in 11.10 I was able to tolerate it, but now with 12.04 I can say I LOVE unity!

I belive with a little marking and a windows 8 failure, ubuntu could take a lager part of microsoft's maket share.

Great job canonical!

dbombtek
April 29th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Installing the upgrade from 11.10. I am excited and hope its worth it. errrrr! I should have stayed with 11.10, now its unknown internal errors and ubuntu needs to close. absolute waste of my time but I had to try.

TheNessus
April 29th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I do not understand why they released it.

It has bugs. Small bugs, but they reflect upon something larger.

the ones I can think of are:
*when you select a custom color for the unity launcher, it immediately reverts back to the chameleon color.
*unity greeter shows user-specific backgrounds, but if you use a costume background, unity greeter reverts to default background.

two minor bugs but come on, you can't ship an LTS like that. It probably takes two minutes to just fix it, but the bugs are not assigned to anyone and considered "low" importance. why? because.

CharlesA
April 29th, 2012, 06:55 PM
You can never fix all the bugs no matter how much time is spent in testing. They will get fixed in time.

shadowfax1
April 29th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Was a Mint Katya and Lisa user driven away by the original unity....Back again simply because cinnamon is an option now.....

codingman
April 29th, 2012, 11:33 PM

NEVER going to even touch microsoft again! I'm not even going to TRY windows 8, and who says it's a cellphone OS???

CharlesA
April 29th, 2012, 11:35 PM
NEVER going to even touch microsoft again! I'm not even going to TRY windows 8, and who says it's a cellphone OS???
All those that say that Unity looks like a touchscreen interface.

In any case, you don't have to use the default DE, there are plenty of choices. ;)

jockyburns
April 29th, 2012, 11:35 PM
So far, I've only tried 12.04 on a usb stick for a few hours. Seems fine, but I'd like to know if there's anything I should look out for by installing it to my HDD? Seems to me that the usb or even the CD/DVD work fine as a usb/cd load and use temporary system, but looking through the forums, it looks like plenty of people are having problems when it's installed on the HDD as the OS.
What do others think?

PaulW2U
April 29th, 2012, 11:53 PM
but looking through the forums, it looks like plenty of people are having problems when it's installed on the HDD as the OS.

But how many people haven't posted because their installation has been successful? You'll mainly hear about the problems of course.

My installation of Ubuntu 12.04 went fine. So did my Lubuntu and Kubuntu installations by the way. :smile:

CharlesA
April 30th, 2012, 12:27 AM
But how many people haven't posted because their installation has been successful? You'll mainly hear about the problems of course.

My installation of Ubuntu 12.04 went fine. So did my Lubuntu and Kubuntu installations by the way. :smile:
This x 9000. Normally people only post if they have issues.

AstroLlama
April 30th, 2012, 12:51 AM
I'm running on a 5 year old laptop so clean install was a little slow, but using unity 2d made it better. I'm really impressed, curious to see how unity learns to "read my mind". :D

LillyDragon
April 30th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Everything but my brightness controls in Xubuntu worked right out of the box on this laptop, so I'm definitely happy with it! ^^ Those old Wubi bugs from 10.04 LTS finally getting squished makes me feel like I can breathe between updates too! (Have it installed natively in on the desktop, but the already-full partition table on my laptop makes pulling native dual-boot on this system feel a little too risky.) Not much else to say other than it's another well-rounded LTS release from the devs. It's one those things that keeps getting better with time!

This x 9000. Normally people only post if they have issues.

I'm surprised anyone could misinterpret the silence in that department as otherwise; should be common sense for a tech-support forum. xD

Bandit
April 30th, 2012, 01:42 AM
As of this post, 82 of the 93 votes thought it is good or excelent. Only 11 thought it is average or below. No one thinks its horrible.
From my stand point from designing GTK2/Metacity themes over the past 10 years. Thats really impressive results. 88.17% are happy.. :)

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 30th, 2012, 02:04 AM
it is usable but lacks the power user features i like so much
compiz has a few bugs that i can't stand, but i have manged to install a older version of compiz and not break the system :)
xubuntu only has 2 IIRC themes (greybird/bluebird) that work system wide all the others need updates badly
The new DEs lack the applets i used in gnome2 i am hoping Mint 13's RC will have what i need (been testing mate still has a couple bugs)
if i could just get xf-applet to to use mate applets xfce could become perfect as soon as i can find a good theme that works with compiz

it lacks all the little thing i love so much, still better than using windows, lol
better than 10.04 is debatable unity/gnome3/gnome shell lack the options i need and xfce4 comes close
12.04 gets me a newer version of hedgewars, hdmi audio on my 550 ti, better virtualbox performance/options

ubuntu27
April 30th, 2012, 03:00 AM
I'm running on a 5 year old laptop so clean install was a little slow, but using unity 2d made it better. I'm really impressed, curious to see how unity learns to "read my mind". :D

If you want it to be even better at ¨reading your mind¨, install Zeitgeist Full Text Search (FTS) Extension

sudo apt-get install zeitgeist-extension-fts (apt://zeitgeist-extension-fts)

It is an Zeitgeist (the logger that helps Unity display your files and apps) extension that allows Zetgeist to search for not only the name of your files, but the content of the documents.

EDIT: My bad. The extension does not read the content of the document but the URI of the document. [Source (http://lists.zeitgeist-project.com/pipermail/dev/2010-June/000127.html)]

Docaltmed
April 30th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Nvidia driver problems on one machine, besides that it has been flawless.

On top of which, I think I'm back to Unity again. I've been on Gnome Shell for 11.10, and though I didn't dislike Unity, I thought Gnome Shell was really where it's at.

Now I'm not so sure. I really, really like this Unity. My only niggling problem with it are those damn notifications. I love the way messaging is integrated into Gnome Shell, and the notifications are interactive.

At any rate, hat's off to the team. Damn good job.

dobbod
April 30th, 2012, 05:55 AM
I just install this 12.04 yesterday and I like using it. I'm a Mint user, but using 12.04 make me want to stick to it. Great ! :P

user1397
April 30th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I'm annoyed that for the past 3 versions of ubuntu (11.04-12.04) I haven't been able to boot ubuntu properly without setting the kernel parameter "acpi=off". I don't know what exactly is being disabled or how crucial it is for my computer, I wish someone could tell me :(

CharlesA
April 30th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I'm annoyed that for the past 3 versions of ubuntu (11.04-12.04) I haven't been able to boot ubuntu properly without setting the kernel parameter "acpi=off". I don't know what exactly is being disabled or how crucial it is for my computer, I wish someone could tell me :(
acpi=off disables power management:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions#Common_Kernel_Options

BrokenKingpin
April 30th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I voted excellent, but this is for Xubuntu... I cannot comment on the normal Ubuntu with Unity.

This version of Xubuntu is not all that much different from the last, it is just a bit more polished and fixed a few issues I was having. It fixed a touchpad issue I was having (kernal update) and added the option to configure it in the Xfce control panel. It also has better sound configuration for PulseAudio. Could not be happier with the release at this point.

Hylas de Niall
April 30th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I voted 'excellent'.
Unity has matured beautifully.

user1397
April 30th, 2012, 06:18 PM
acpi=off disables power management:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions#Common_Kernel_Options

I guess the most pertinent question in my case is how does turning acpi off affect my particular computer

CharlesA
April 30th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I guess the most pertinent question in my case is how does turning acpi off affect my particular computer
I'm guessing it will mess with sleep/hibernation, but I am not 100% sure.

mips
April 30th, 2012, 06:52 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

All the power saving features are disabled I think, all states default to 0.

SemiExpert
April 30th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Ubuntu 12.04 is a very polished release. Of course, the Alpha was usable on daily basis and the 2nd Beta was already up to final release standards. Unity has been mature since 11.10. No real complaints so far.

user1397
April 30th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I'm guessing it will mess with sleep/hibernation, but I am not 100% sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

All the power saving features are disabled I think, all states default to 0.

Ah I see, thanks. Well good thing that I don't care too much about power savings on this laptop, the battery's pretty shot already and I have it plugged in 99% of the time. Guess it's time for me to take the plunge with 12.04 and see how it goes!! :)

synaptix
April 30th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Absolutely amazing, just like 10.04 was.

georgelappies
April 30th, 2012, 09:13 PM
great looking, fast and stable OS. Didn't initialy thaught that I would take to unity but I did.

This OS is going to stay on my hard drive for a while ;)

Dry Lips
April 30th, 2012, 10:17 PM
I've also been having problems with the new Nvidia drivers! :( I've had to remove them entirely for the system to work normal again.