PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fixing broken packages for nvidia-173

geovino
April 29th, 2012, 12:48 AM
I'm running 12.04 64bit. and the nvidia drivers that Ubuntu wants to install in additional drivers does not work with my nvidia geforce 6100 video. I used to use nvidia-173 in previous versions of Ubuntu. When I go to Synaptic to install nvidia-173 it says to fix broken packages first. What broken packages? How do I fix it?

haresear
April 29th, 2012, 01:26 AM
I think the nvidia-173 drivers are not compatible with 12.04. I have an nVidia FX5200 card, which used nvidia-173 drivers on all previous Ubuntu versions. When I upgraded to 12.04, it removed the nvidia-173 drivers and installed the nouveau drivers. When I run "Additional Drivers", it now offers no nvidia drivers at all. Can your card use a higher version nvidia driver?

geovino
April 29th, 2012, 01:34 AM
I think the nvidia-173 drivers are not compatible with 12.04. I have an nVidia FX5200 card, which used nvidia-173 drivers on all previous Ubuntu versions. When I upgraded to 12.04, it removed the nvidia-173 drivers and installed the nouveau drivers. When I run "Additional Drivers", it now offers no nvidia drivers at all. Can your card use a higher version nvidia driver?

I just ordered a EVGA 512-P3-1300-LR GeForce 8400 GS Video Card from Tiger Direct. This card should improve the video. I'm tired of dealing with this onboard geforce 6100 video, its been a problem with other distros in the past.

I'll see how it goes in a week when I get the new card. :)

zecoyote007
April 30th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Hi guys,

I found a workaround: keep the 11.10 version of the Xorg server
No conflict at all with any package from 12.04 !!!
nvidia-173 drivers are not compatible with Xorg (ABI to be precise) version released in 12.04.
So I stick with 11.10 version of Xorg. I had to make the following changes to backport Xorg:

1) In /etc/apt/sources.list :

deb http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric main
deb-src http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric main

2) In /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: xorg xserver-xorg*
Pin: release a=oneiric
Pin-Priority: 1050

3) Note related to nvidia-173/96 on Ubuntu 12.04 (optional if you face slow graphics)
I'm using old hardware with nvidia-173 drivers and I don't like the fact "composite" is mandatory to use Unity correctly (very laggy) I had to force composite to switch it "off" to avoid laggy windows by modifying /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Bug related to nvidia-173 or nvidia-96, please have a look to this post:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...73/+bug/922268
Enjoy.

Nicolas

mhgsys
April 30th, 2012, 12:23 PM
^ rolling back is not the way to go imo....

I was using the nvidia96 drivers before, but now I'm using nouveau instaid...working like a charm...

sshatery
May 2nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
i have the same problem. its keep saying broken package. when i tried to fix it, nothing happened and its still broken. if its not compatible with 12.04 then why its still there?

geovino
May 7th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Installed a nvidia geforce 8400 video card. was able to install additional drivers. Solved my problem. :)

El Zoido
May 7th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I'm in a similar position, my pc at work has a rather old Nvidia card (7300) and I used the 173 driver, as others didn't work at all.
Since Precise I can use the newest one, but get strange graphical corruption in Libreoffice (menus, buttons, etc are all corrupted, restarting fixes it, but only for a while. Seems to be linked to having Firefox running in the background and probably playing videos there).

I suspect it is linked to the driver, but alas, 173 doesn't work anymore.
What I don't get is, why did they even include 173 if it's not compatible with the newest X?

Did also try noveau, but this is making everything extremely sluggish.

rmhurt
May 28th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Hi guys,

I found a workaround: keep the 11.10 version of the Xorg server
No conflict at all with any package from 12.04 !!!
nvidia-173 drivers are not compatible with Xorg (ABI to be precise) version released in 12.04.
So I stick with 11.10 version of Xorg. I had to make the following changes to backport Xorg:

1) In /etc/apt/sources.list :

deb http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric main
deb-src http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric main

2) In /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: xorg xserver-xorg*
Pin: release a=oneiric
Pin-Priority: 1050

3) Note related to nvidia-173/96 on Ubuntu 12.04 (optional if you face slow graphics)
I'm using old hardware with nvidia-173 drivers and I don't like the fact "composite" is mandatory to use Unity correctly (very laggy) I had to force composite to switch it "off" to avoid laggy windows by modifying /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Bug related to nvidia-173 or nvidia-96, please have a look to this post:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...73/+bug/922268
Enjoy.

Nicolas

Nicolas, thanks so much for posting your solution! it worked like a charm for me and i would have never come up with this solution on my own. i have an nvidia 5200 in an old motherboard, so upgrading to a newer card isn't really an option. i wonder tho, how long this xorg pin will continue to work. maybe i'm stuck at 12.04...?

one thing for novices like myself. after following your clear steps i wasn't sure what the final step was to cause the xorg downgrade. i eventually opened up the Synaptic Package Manager and selected "nvidia-173" and that did the trick.

thanks again - posts like this really help the linux community! :-D

Bob

haresear
May 28th, 2012, 09:16 PM
one thing for novices like myself. after following your clear steps i wasn't sure what the final step was to cause the xorg downgrade. i eventually opened up the Synaptic Package Manager and selected "nvidia-173" and that did the trick.

Bob
The final step to downgrade xorg (which was in a follow-up post) is:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

r233967
March 20th, 2013, 05:17 AM
The following simple steps worked for me for version 12.04.02 on March 19, 2013.

- Install 12.04.02 (DO NOT enable auto login).
- When the install finishes rebooting, you will be at the login screen (DO NOT LOGIN).
- CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to a command-line.
- login at the command prompt
- sudo apt-get install nvidia-173-updates (DO NOT INSTALL nvidia-173)
- reboot
- enjoy