PDA

View Full Version : Your DE?

Colo2
April 28th, 2012, 10:48 PM
So what DE are you currently using.

Please only answer if you are using Ubuntu. (so this excludes Lubuntu, Kubuntu etc..)

sffvba[e0rt
April 28th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Version Dependency
April 29th, 2012, 12:12 AM
First, this been discussed to death. Second, with the dozens of desktop environments/window managers out there that people are using, you only bothered listing three?

Colo2
April 29th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Yeah

Reason being, I was interested to know whether the maj of people kept unity or decided to revert back to gnome.

Version Dependency
April 29th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Yeah

Reason being, I was interested to know whether the maj of people kept unity or decided to revert back to gnome.

But what about the people that installed XFCE....LKDE....XDE....MATE....openbox....fluxbox. ...enlightenment....RazorQT....Awesome....(insert a couple dozen other window managers here). You seem to think the number of people using a non-Gnome3-based environment is insignificant. I expect you will find that "other" gets ALOT of answers in this poll.

Penguinnerd
April 29th, 2012, 02:52 AM
But what about the people that installed XFCE....LKDE....XDE....MATE....openbox....fluxbox. ...enlightenment....RazorQT....Awesome....(insert a couple dozen other window managers here). You seem to think the number of people using a non-Gnome3-based environment is insignificant. I expect you will find that "other" gets ALOT of answers in this poll.

He specified that the poll is *only* for regular Ubuntu. This should have ruled out the majority of LXDE, XFCE and KDE users, but people are not reading the post before they vote.

Besides, there should have been a separate option for "I don't use regular Ubuntu" or "I use a derivative 'Buntu".

Marzata
April 29th, 2012, 09:50 AM
We migrated to Ubuntu with Xfce (it is called Xubuntu). Also we use Ubuntu with Openbox. Unity is for the Facebook generation.

Colo2
April 29th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah.

I wanted to know whether people ubuntu, keep unity or go back to gnome.
The 'other' option is if they didn't keep unity, and didn't go back to gnome. As for what they use if they don't use gnome or unity, Its not the purpose of this thread to find out...

tartalo
April 29th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I wanted to know whether people ubuntu, keep unity or go back to gnome. The 'other' option is if they didn't keep unity, and didn't go back to gnome.

This might give you an approximate idea:

wget http://popcon.ubuntu.com/by_vote
cat by_vote | grep unity | head -n10
cat by_vote | grep gnome | head -n10
cat by_vote | grep kde | head -n10
cat by_vote | grep xfce | head -n10
cat by_vote | grep lxde | head -n10

and so on

seatex
April 29th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Cinnamon.

codingman
April 29th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I interchange between gnome 3, gnome classic, and unity.

Penguinnerd
April 30th, 2012, 03:55 AM
This might give you an approximate idea:

wget http://popcon.ubuntu.com/by_vote
cat by_vote | grep unity | head -n10
cat by_vote | grep gnome | head -n10
cat by_vote | grep kde | head -n10
cat by_vote | grep xfce | head -n10
cat by_vote | grep lxde | head -n10

and so on

Brilliant! I learned something new today.

opiumpoetry
May 1st, 2012, 08:14 PM
I just installed MATE and it works great in 12.04. AWN dock didn't work so well, though, so I switched back to desktop icons.

mamamia88
May 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM
Um kubuntu,xubuntu, etc are ubuntu with xfce and kde respectively. I'm using debian with xfce 4.6

synaptix
May 1st, 2012, 08:52 PM
Unity2D.

Docaltmed
May 1st, 2012, 09:48 PM
Unity is for the Facebook generation.

Oops, I think you meant to say "Xcfe is for the dinosaurs."

But niggling little digs aside, I'm 55 years old, I learned BASIC on a teletype connected to a pre-breakup AT&T mainframe, took FORTRAN in college, wrote programs on punchcards, taught myself assembler on CP/M in an Osborne portable. I've used every damn PC operating system from CP/M to PC-DOS to MS-DOS, and onto the first Apple Macintosh. I have beat up on every version of Windows that Microsoft shoved out the door, *including* ME and Vista.

I've got *more* than a passing experience with the major human computer interfaces throughout history, and I can say, unequivocally, that Unity in 12.04 is the best interface I have used.

"Facebook generation" my great aunt's fanny. Learn some manners, sonny, or get off my lawn. ;-)

Simian Man
May 1st, 2012, 09:53 PM
KDE puts the rest to shame.

mfZero
May 1st, 2012, 10:34 PM
Unity all day every day!

Lucradia
May 2nd, 2012, 06:37 AM
Pretty sure Unity is still not a DE. (Wikipedia even says it's a shell for GNOME (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_%28user_interface%29))

Anyway, I don't use a Desktop Environment. They're bulky. I use openbox with startx, no fancy schmancy login screen or any of that. I use stalonetray for my notification tray, and nitrogen or PCManFM for my desktop wallpaper, and conky for system monitoring on the desktop. As for processes, I use the console / terminal emulator known as Sakura to use the command to look up processes, in case I need to kill one.

That said, Debian is better for my setup as Ubuntu has that horrible start service deal.

Unity is also not a Window Manager. Whoever made that see also needs a slap on the wrist.

Colo2
May 2nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
Oops, I think you meant to say "Xcfe is for the dinosaurs."

But niggling little digs aside, I'm 55 years old, I learned BASIC on a teletype connected to a pre-breakup AT&T mainframe, took FORTRAN in college, wrote programs on punchcards, taught myself assembler on CP/M in an Osborne portable. I've used every damn PC operating system from CP/M to PC-DOS to MS-DOS, and onto the first Apple Macintosh. I have beat up on every version of Windows that Microsoft shoved out the door, *including* ME and Vista.

I've got *more* than a passing experience with the major human computer interfaces throughout history, and I can say, unequivocally, that Unity in 12.04 is the best interface I have used.

"Facebook generation" my great aunt's fanny. Learn some manners, sonny, or get off my lawn. ;-)

That made me laugh :) Have you tried GNOME Shell? From what I can see, it's better than Unity.

Tom

Docaltmed
May 2nd, 2012, 12:27 PM
That made me laugh :) Have you tried GNOME Shell? From what I can see, it's better than Unity.

Tom

I was using Gnome Shell for the entirety of 11.10, and honestly, I really like it. Even after installing 12.04, I didn't plan on going back to Unity, but I was kinda forced into Unity 2D by Nvidia and it's lousy drivers (couldn't run Gnome Shell or Unity 3D) on one of the machines I use at work.

After using it for a few days, it grew on me. And now I'm sitting here typing away on my personal laptop, now using Unity instead of Gnome Shell.

Either shell works pretty well for me, and the thing I really, really like about GS is how it has interactive notifications and messaging is integrated into the desktop. Unity needs that, IMHO. Other than that, Unity is pretty groovy.

Colo2
May 2nd, 2012, 08:53 PM
I was using Gnome Shell for the entirety of 11.10, and honestly, I really like it. Even after installing 12.04, I didn't plan on going back to Unity, but I was kinda forced into Unity 2D by Nvidia and it's lousy drivers (couldn't run Gnome Shell or Unity 3D) on one of the machines I use at work.

After using it for a few days, it grew on me. And now I'm sitting here typing away on my personal laptop, now using Unity instead of Gnome Shell.

Either shell works pretty well for me, and the thing I really, really like about GS is how it has interactive notifications and messaging is integrated into the desktop. Unity needs that, IMHO. Other than that, Unity is pretty groovy.

Cool! I've gotten used to pressing the Windows button to pull up the Activities and typing the program/file I want in the search. Do-able for searching on Google and Wikipedia too! I love it, Not sure if unity can do that?

opiumpoetry
May 6th, 2012, 02:24 AM
please remove

synaptix
May 6th, 2012, 04:23 AM
I've switched over to GNOME Classic (No effects), which appears to have been made even better...as I feel like I'm back on 10.04 again.

12.04 + GNOME Classic (No effects) = <3

MisterGaribaldi
May 6th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Um, I use Aqua.

kio_http
May 6th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Sorry, I voted then saw the exclude Kubuntu part.

But I find such a poll silly as as a Kubuntu user I am actually a Ubuntu user. Most distros use the same name irrespective of DE.

MisterGaribaldi
May 6th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Sorry, I voted then saw the exclude Kubuntu part.

But I find such a poll silly as as a Kubuntu user I am actually a Ubuntu user. Most distros use the same name irrespective of DE.

Consider the community you're referring to, here. :o

Actually, consider the distro maintainer, too. ;)

Colo2
May 6th, 2012, 06:32 PM
MisterGaribaldi can you post a picture of your desktop for me? Im interested to see what aqua is like.

MisterGaribaldi
May 7th, 2012, 02:11 AM
MisterGaribaldi can you post a picture of your desktop for me? Im interested to see what aqua is like.

Alrighty... by request...

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/426/aquascreenshot01.png

ammofreak
May 7th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Hi ):P
10.04LTS + GNOME...:)

Marzata
May 7th, 2012, 06:54 AM
and what are the plans for the upgrade?

opiumpoetry
May 7th, 2012, 09:32 PM
after trying various de's, i've finally settled on Cinnamon. it's both easy to use and attractive-looking. thanx to the Linux mint people for creating it.