PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Interfaces on 12.04

wpshooter
April 28th, 2012, 09:02 PM
What desktop interfaces are installed (by default) on Ubuntu 12.04 other than Unity ?

Thanks.

grahammechanical
April 28th, 2012, 09:10 PM
None.

What do you expect? Unity is Ubuntu. But as Ubuntu is also Linux/Gnome and open source as well, we can at present install other user interfaces.

Ubuntu/Unity is the distribution from Canonical.

By the way, things have had to be left out of the distribution to keep the ISO image size as low as possible. That is another reason why other user interfaces would not be part of the default distribution.

Regards.

wpshooter
April 29th, 2012, 03:27 AM
None.

What do you expect? Unity is Ubuntu. But as Ubuntu is also Linux/Gnome and open source as well, we can at present install other user interfaces.

Ubuntu/Unity is the distribution from Canonical.

By the way, things have had to be left out of the distribution to keep the ISO image size as low as possible. That is another reason why other user interfaces would not be part of the default distribution.

Regards.

Seems some article I had read somewhere, gave me the impression that interfaces other than Unity might be installed by default and could be chosen by the user at logon.

What I expect (read that as want) is something other than a MAC type interface which I deathly hate !!! If I wanted to use a MAC I would just buy one.

Thanks.