PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using Update manager to update...

bradhamilton
April 28th, 2012, 05:50 PM
...I saw a splash screen which indicated this upgrade was Beta.

I'm confused - I thought the "official" launch was several days ago.

Nigel Hewlett
April 28th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I get exactly the same problem. I do Alt+F2 then update-manager -d and Update Manager tells me 12.04 is available but when I select Upgrade it says "This is still a BETA release".
Nigel

grahammechanical
April 28th, 2012, 06:57 PM
The official launch was the 26th and today is the 28th. so, not several days ago. Bearly let out in the wild, I would say.

Just when the servers in your part of the world were updated with the release is anybody's guess.

Why the rush? The thing will be around for 5 years.

davcav
April 28th, 2012, 07:26 PM
In Update Manager you can click Settings and choose a different Update Server. In my case I picked the UK server and installed the correct version.

Best of luck.

bradhamilton
April 28th, 2012, 07:26 PM
The official launch was the 26th and today is the 28th. so, not several days ago. Bearly let out in the wild, I would say.

Just when the servers in your part of the world were updated with the release is anybody's guess.

Why the rush? The thing will be around for 5 years.

True enough - I was going to wait 30 days anyway, let the bugs flush out...

I burned a live CD, and have started to play with it - sorry, not a big unity fan - not configurable enough, in my view.

I was just surprised by the BETA message, seeing as how Canonical has made a number of statements in the big outlets (PC Mag, etc.) trumpeting the launch. This would be a big disappointment to Joe Average Windows user, who might be looking for a better experience.

bradhamilton
April 28th, 2012, 10:10 PM
In Update Manager you can click Settings and choose a different Update Server. In my case I picked the UK server and installed the correct version.

Best of luck.

Thanks - tried a number of servers in the UK and the US (my location), and all returned the "BETA" splash screen. I think it's probably an artifact, and the upgrade is *not* Beta. Perhaps after dinner, I'll just close my eyes and "go".

kostkon
April 28th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Don't try to upgrade using the ALT+F2 update-manager -d way, it's only used to upgrade to alpha or beta versions, not the final.

Just open the update manager and check for updates. Eventually you'll get the upgrade button, if not today, then tomorrow or in 2-3 days depending on the server.

Also make sure that the option Show new distribution releases in your software sources is set to LTS only (or normal) releases and not to never.

Hope that helps.