PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Windows 7 after Ubuntu

emmagood
April 28th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Hi,

I have Windows XP and Ubuntu installeed in my system. I will like to install Windows 7. Can anyone tell me how to do so?

Thanks,
Emma Good

darkod
April 28th, 2012, 05:47 PM
You want to install it over XP or you want to have all three OSs?

fantab
April 28th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Also tell us more about your hard drives... how many do you have?

Rubi1200
April 28th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Posting the full specifications for the computer also helps, especially RAM and graphics card.

Thanks.

emmagood
April 30th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your responses. I want to keep windows XP and install Win7. I have 2 HDDs. One SATA 500 GB with Ubuntu and WinXP and another ATA 80 GB in which I want to install Win7. I have 2 GB RAM and on board graphics processor (intel board).

Pls. advice.

Emma.

fantab
April 30th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your responses. I want to keep windows XP and install Win7. I have 2 HDDs. One SATA 500 GB with Ubuntu and WinXP and another ATA 80 GB in which I want to install Win7. I have 2 GB RAM and on board graphics processor (intel board).

That should be easy. Just install Win 7 to 80 GB HDD, during installation you have to make sure that you are installing Win7 to the said HDD. You must first Partition you 80gb. After installation you must log into Ubuntu and update Grub.

Or

Before proceeding to install Win7 you should unplug SATA 500 GB and Install Win7 on 80GB... after installation plugin SATA 500. Then log into Ubuntu and update grub.

The second method is safer.

emmagood
May 1st, 2012, 03:07 PM
how to update ubuntu grub ....

Thanks,
Emma.

darkod
May 1st, 2012, 03:34 PM
Boot ubuntu and in terminal do:
sudo update-grub

emmagood
May 1st, 2012, 03:42 PM
Just to confirm... will it work for ubuntu installation through wubi...?

Thanks,
Emma.

darkod
May 1st, 2012, 03:45 PM
It will, but it doesn't make any sense for wubi. When we are talking about ubuntu, we are usually talking about the standard dual boot.

When you have wubi, you still have your windows bootloader on the MBR and that is your primary bootloader. You can select windows there. Why would you boot wubi just to select windows again.

PS. In fact, is your question related to whether update-grub will work for wubi, or the windows 7 installation? Do you have XP and wubi right now, or XP and ubuntu? There is a big difference.

emmagood
May 1st, 2012, 05:14 PM
PS. In fact, is your question related to whether update-grub will work for wubi, or the windows 7 installation? Do you have XP and wubi right now, or XP and ubuntu? There is a big difference.

OK... when I start the computer, I get a black background with options windows XP and ubuntu on the screen. Apart from that, I loaded Ubuntu through Wubi.

Emma.

darkod
May 1st, 2012, 07:31 PM
Yes, you have wubi installed into XP.

I have no idea how installing win7 would interfere with the setup. I think wubi will remain into XP. I don't use wubi so I am not sure.

emmagood
May 2nd, 2012, 01:38 AM
Ok.... does anyone have any ideas how to update wubi grub after installing win 7. I have Win XP installed with wubi in it. Also will that be required?

Thanks,
Emma Good