PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cinnamon on ubuntu12.04lts?

ubto66
April 28th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Anyone succeeded in running http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/
on ubuntu 12.04 lts?
I installed cinnamon like this:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon muffin
When I log into ubuntu I choose cinnamon, but instead I get gnome classic.

orange2k
April 28th, 2012, 04:55 PM
It works fine here...

I don't know what causes your problem....:(

ubto66
April 28th, 2012, 05:07 PM
And you are running ubuntu 12.04 lts?

jfeist1
April 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Hey ubto66, 12.04 lts clean install here, I am not getting gnome classic, but have found that Cinnamon with Muffin does not give the UI you might have been expecting coming from Mint 12. Is this maybe what you are seeing?

orange2k
April 28th, 2012, 06:24 PM
And you are running ubuntu 12.04 lts?

yes

ubto66
April 28th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I asked, because your tag says ubuntu 11. Then I don't know why I cannot get the cinnamon ui.

ubto66
April 28th, 2012, 06:38 PM
The ui I'm out for, is this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTKBwqvCYrU
What I'm getting is the ui where applications and places are located on top to the left. I'm running ubuntu 12 in a virtualbox, could that be causing it?

kalkems
April 29th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I installed cinnamon on my beta unstall and it worked perfectly. Doesn't cinnamon require compiz type graphics? Maybe this causes problems in virtualbox as the graphics there aren't that perfect.

kurt18947
April 29th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I installed cinnamon on my beta unstall and it worked perfectly. Doesn't cinnamon require compiz type graphics? Maybe this causes problems in virtualbox as the graphics there aren't that perfect.

I'm not certain but I think cinnamon installs on top of gnome 3 which doesn't use compiz. Doesn't gnome use mutter? I'm not certain but I don't think it uses compiz. You might be onto something with virtualbox though. Cinnamon works fine for me on 12.04 and current Nvidia video drivers.

movieguy1920
April 29th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I have the same problem. I had loaded Gnome first, because Unity was having issues with my older computer, and then added the ppa. Logged out, logged into Cinnamon - and there was absolutely no change - I still have the Gnome settings. I had originally installed cinnamon on 11.10 with no problem, worked beautifully. Now...not so much...

skompier
April 30th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Open a terminal and type:

cinnamon --replace

What happens?

00negative
April 30th, 2012, 01:28 PM
The ui I'm out for, is this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTKBwqvCYrU
What I'm getting is the ui where applications and places are located on top to the left. I'm running ubuntu 12 in a virtualbox, could that be causing it?

It could be virtualbox issue, did you check 3d acceleration in settings of that machine? Or maybe try installing the virtualbox additions.

Sorinux
April 30th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Can someone help with my problem?
I have Ubuntu Studio 12.04 and I have the MATE ppa and Cinnamon ppa added to the repositories. I went to the Synaptic to install them and when selecting Cinnamon, in the marked files for installing also Unity was present. What is happening? This is normal not to be able to install Cinnamon without Unity? Or this is happening only because I use a variation of Ubuntu?
For the moment I installed only MATE.
I am interested to know if somebody noticed this and if there is a workaround.

RichardCain
April 30th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I did a clean install of 12.04 with Cinnamon from the same repository but without Muffin, and it works perfectly, just like your clip. I suggest you get rid of the muffin package.

joops
April 30th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Hallo.

I did the same install like you without muffin and it works fine.

I tried to install the debs from https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/downloads and the software center tells me that already installed a newer version.

Sorinux
April 30th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Did you noticed if also Unity was installed together with Cinnamon?

BobVila
May 1st, 2012, 05:00 PM
I'm in the same boat. Looks like it's got something to do with the nvidia driver (for me, at least). If you remove nvidia-current, Cinnamon will load just fine. I wonder if it would work if I switched from xinerama to twinview, but I'd rather not lose two of my four monitors...

cloyd
May 2nd, 2012, 12:46 AM
Anyone succeeded in running http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/
on ubuntu 12.04 lts?
I installed cinnamon like this:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon muffin
When I log into ubuntu I choose cinnamon, but instead I get gnome classic.

I did the same, and get the same results. I know that I have an old ati graphics card . . . like to never got it to run unity . . . I know what I did, but have no idea as to why it made it work. The interesting things is, I'm always running Unity 2d, even when I specify Unity. Old ATI graphics card?

Got Cinnamon to run on another machine, and first impression is that I like it a lot.

livewire94
May 3rd, 2012, 10:19 PM
I installed Cinnamon with Muffin and it seemed to work but Cinnamon also installed Gnome Classic and Gnome Classic no effects.

Cinnamon is slow on my PC.

How would I uninstall Cinnamon with Muffin? I don't want to use it and would like to take it back off.

Thanks

RichardCain
May 4th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I installed Cinnamon with Muffin and it seemed to work but Cinnamon also installed Gnome Classic and Gnome Classic no effects.

Cinnamon is slow on my PC.

How would I uninstall Cinnamon with Muffin? I don't want to use it and would like to take it back off.

Thanks

Open a terminal and enter:

sudo apt-get purge cinnamon muffin
Then open Software Sources and remove these two lines:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable/ubuntu precise main
http://ppa.launchpad.net/gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable/ubuntu precise main (Source Code)

ubto66
May 5th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Thank you for your answers.
I tried to install ubuntu 12.04 lts on a usb stick. And now cinnamon runs.
It's not that stable when I make settings adjustments, and when it freezes
I have to use the reset button. But maybe that is to be expected, because the cinnamon website says, it's for ubuntu 11. Maybe an update solves that.
Cinnamon would not run in my virtual box config.
What I can't find, is where to make task bars broader/higher? Not in
unity, not in gnome classic no effects, and not in cinnamon.
Thanks.

Sorinux
May 8th, 2012, 06:23 PM
It seems that nobody can explain why Cinnamon needs Unity.
For those that want to install Cinnamon on top of Ubuntu 12.04, keep trying until you get lucky, if you do... I installed also Ubuntu Server 12.04 and Ubuntu 12.04 and all the time I end up with Gnome Classic, butt no Cinnamon. Sometimes also the wireless was saying ”Device not managed” (or something like that).
It seems that Ubuntu is getting worse day by day!!!!!!!!!
Seems like I have to use Win 7 until Mint 13 is coming out!
Good luck Ubuntu, but this is why you have less users! Just check Distrowatch!!!
):P):P):P