PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Making panels transparent, and installing themes in gnome3?

Jamie_Edwards
April 28th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Hi guys,

I recently updated my OS from Ubuntu 11.04 to 12.04, and I'm completely baffled as to how to change the transparency of my gnome panels. I was able to achieve this in gnome2 on my other OS.

I'm able to change the colour of the blank part but this is what happens:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h348/Jamie-Rhys/Ubuntu-1204/?action=view&current=meh.png

I want the whole lot to be transparent, and not like what it is in the photo :L

Any idea's how I go about it?

And also where could I go to find themes for ubuntu 12.04, and also how do I install and implement them?

Thanks

nizamibilal1064
April 28th, 2012, 05:04 PM
you mean customization of launcher?? you can do this by compizConfig ,,,by the way i am not able see your pic...

merlinus
April 28th, 2012, 06:16 PM
gnome-look.org has lots of themes. You want the 3.x variety -- the older ones will not work.

Best way to load them is to use Archive Manager as root and uncompress them to /usr/share/themes.

And I also cannot figure out how to make the top and bottom panels transparent...

Jamie_Edwards
April 28th, 2012, 06:38 PM
you mean customization of launcher?? you can do this by compizConfig ,,,by the way i am not able see your pic...

Basically the photo shows the middle part of the top panel partially tansparent, just enough to show my background image through it, and with both the Indicator applet complete thing the original untransparent self, and also the same with the apps and places menu thing XD

I tried compiz config and it isn't working :L

nizamibilal1064
April 29th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Basically the photo shows the middle part of the top panel partially tansparent, just enough to show my background image through it, and with both the Indicator applet complete thing the original untransparent self, and also the same with the apps and places menu thing XD

I tried compiz config and it isn't working :L
In new ubuntu12.04 there are some bugs like you cant adjust the color of launcher...have patience they will be debugged soon...:KS

Jamie_Edwards
April 29th, 2012, 02:42 PM
In new ubuntu12.04 there are some bugs like you cant adjust the color of launcher...have patience they will be debugged soon...:KS

Is there any way of using 2.x till then? Or would I end up breaking my desktop?

Frogs Hair
April 29th, 2012, 03:01 PM
If you mean Gnome 2.x , no .

codingman
April 29th, 2012, 03:07 PM
the gnome-look website is never working, and i would never use CCSM.

Jamie_Edwards
April 29th, 2012, 04:12 PM
If you mean Gnome 2.x , no .

Well, I guess this is the only annoying downside to 12.04 that I've found XD

merlinus
April 29th, 2012, 05:20 PM
You can change the appearance of top and bottom panels by holding down the power key (just to the left of alt) + alt and then right-click.

Frogs Hair
April 29th, 2012, 05:57 PM
the gnome-look website is never working, and i would never use CCSM.

Strange that gnome look is not working for you , I have been installing themes from there both today and yesterday and I visit once a day. Myunity from the software center allows you to tweak Unity without the ccsm . I don't know if it is only for unity 3D though.

Jamie_Edwards
April 30th, 2012, 06:14 PM
BTW, I posted a thread before about this problem, but it was using gtk-2.0 instead of gtk3.0

Have a look at the thread for the images I tried showing you before

Old Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1916784)