PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying yet to install Ubuntu using an USB

Bao2
April 28th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Days ago I downloaded the 12.04 beta and created an USB using the "Startup Disk Creator" that comes with ubuntu. I installed the beta without any problem.

Now 12.04 is out and I did the same: downloaded the ISO and used Startup Disk Creator and tried to install using the USB pen drive. And no way. It says something about "strashfs" or something like that (I understand he is trying to read the fs file that is that huge file where all ubuntu is and he is unable to read it.

So I was doubting perhaps I downloaded the iso with errors. So I must to make a md5 checksum and compare. But I realize I go to ubuntu page to download and it just begins to download, it doesn't show any md5 checksum or anything. By the way I just realized too that when I right click on a file I have not the "Digest" tab where I could calculate the checksum. So this is the way ubuntu goes: all the great things you have in older versions are slowly stripped out. So I was to ubuntu software center to download some checksum program and searched by "md5" and there is just one program. Well I really hope they retire also that and we will be unable to calculate checksums (this would be called a feature like the lack of minimize button in Gnome 3 and people would be really wanting this feature).

Well so I am: ubuntu gives out isos and doesn't give md5 or anything to see if the iso is correct.
But after two downloads of the iso I believe that really what is happening is that the iso has some problem and doesn't work in an USB (I downloaded the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 12.04). So I will have to use a rewritable DVD instead an USB just to install ubuntu and see that Gnome3 is using yet the lack of minimize button and all the enhancings like that....

Really enjoying the way ubuntu is going...

Also I am doing now other linux distro downloadings, just in case...

Bao2
April 28th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Update:
I just downloaded again the iso and did a md5 (remember there is only 1 program at the moment that does that in ubuntu software center, pray to the Lord they don't delete it from the repositories for 12.04 (I am writing this and using md5 in ubuntu 11.10)) and the md5 of today iso and yesterday iso is different. So I will try now and see what happens and post here.

I will create an USB disk with the Startup Disk Creator.

darkod
April 28th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Of course the md5 sums are there, you just have to look carefully. Just visit the page with all the download options:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/

Look towards the top of the listed downloads.

Bao2
April 28th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hey, thanks for pointing me to the md5 checksums files.

Well, I am writing this from 12.04 and installed using the USB so problems solved for me.