PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB mouse ko, missing icons and wallpapers

raffaele181188
April 28th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I was running 11.10 and I was happy. Since a couple of days I kept getting suggested to upgrade, but I didn't care: I was fine. Today a nice window popped up announcing that the shiny new 12.04 was ready and I finally decided to trust it: it was a nice window - and I also thought that after a pair of dozens of versions Ubuntu could upgrade without breaking. So I clicked "Ok" and it downloaded the dist-upgrade tool and started getting the packages and installing them. Finally the pleasant window told that it was better to restart the system. But then...

The USB mouse doesn't work! There is no wallpaper, no icons, not even one! All I can do is Alt+F2, searching "xterm" and start it, but the window can't get the focus, my mouse doesn't work, so I don't even have a shell (no, the "terminal" app doesn't even start, don't know why...)

And now? How am I supposed to recover such a distaster? Should I install everything from the CD? Why, Ubuntu, why? I don't have that exotic hardware: it's a plain desktop machine with just about an Intel mobo, a Core2, and an integrated Intel card.

raffaele181188
April 28th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I cannot even start a console session. Ctrl+Alt+Fn only shows a blank screen

jadtech
April 28th, 2012, 01:36 PM
yup I| had this problem a while back when I upgraded to beta it has been a know issue for some ..

if you can manage to get to a terminal you could complete the upgrade some parts get install out of order causing this problem ..

if you can manage

sudo apt-get dist upgrade -f

should help you might need a bit more help debugging bits after that but it would go a long way to getting you back to normal ..

personally when it happened to me at the time I didnt have a lot to lose so I just went for the re-install many have recovered from this and someone here may know a way to get you through to the terminal ..

raffaele181188
April 28th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I reinstalled 11.10 from the dvd, I couldn't get to any shell. I wonder what's the use of a new version every six months if you can't guarantee a successful update