PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04, Unity or gnome3?

jiapei100
April 28th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Hi, all:

Sorry for my naive question.

What is the default GUI that comes with Ubuntu 12.04? It's still unity, right? The version seems to be 5.10.0-0ubuntu6.

However, which is better? Unity 5.10 or Gnome 3.0? How can I replace it with Gnome 3.0? I grabbed "gnome 1:3.0+6ubuntu3" with its corresponding dependencies. Which is better?

Cheers
Pei

3Miro
April 28th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Unity is a shell on top of Gnome 3. Technically Unity is Gnome 3. Ubuntu comes with Unity, other distributions that use Gnome 3 come with the Gnome-shell interface.

You can install the gnome-shell package and then try both Unity and Gnome-shell. There is no such thing as "better" interface, people use their machines in different ways, therefore, there is no interface that is better for everyone. Try Unity and Gnome-shell as YOU should decide which one works better for YOU.

dbombtek
April 28th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Unity is the default and which is best is left to preference depending on what you want for the look of your desktop.

razedafear
April 28th, 2012, 02:21 PM
How can i remove unity and get back to genome in 12.04LTS??

kansasnoob
April 28th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Hi, all:

Sorry for my naive question.

What is the default GUI that comes with Ubuntu 12.04? It's still unity, right? The version seems to be 5.10.0-0ubuntu6.

However, which is better? Unity 5.10 or Gnome 3.0? How can I replace it with Gnome 3.0? I grabbed "gnome 1:3.0+6ubuntu3" with its corresponding dependencies. Which is better?

Cheers
Pei

It sounds like you installed the Debian gnome packages which are older (gnome 3.0 vs gnome 3.2). That may create a bit of a mess.

What you may want is "gnome-shell", or you may want a classic look like this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

I'm not sure how badly things might be broken after installing those other gnome or gnome-desktop-environment packages.

Frogs Hair
April 28th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I use Unity and the Gnome shell mostly . Today it's Unity but Classic is also installed and used the least. Having used Gnome 2 on four releases, I see no reason to want to recreate with classic.

http://unity.ubuntu.com/about/

http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zABkGcaWv6M

grahammechanical
April 28th, 2012, 03:00 PM
@razedarfear

Please do not jump into someone else's question with your own question. Create your own thread.

Do not try to remove Unity. You will break your system. You cannot get back to Gnome from Unity because as a previous answer said, Ubuntu is built on gnome 3 and Unity is the default user interface for Ubuntu.

There is no need to remove Unity. You can install other user interfaces if you like the look of them. And then select the session you want at the log in screen by clicking the cog icon.

Regards.

sammyboy405
April 28th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I Removed Unity Just fine and Dandy.. I Hate Unity.. cant Stand it.. I Love ubuntu.. But Bah Unity.. Junk..

Here is how I removed it.

If you only want to remove Unity itself and not all of the applications that come with it all you need to do is remove the actual Unity and Unity 2D packages with the command below:

sudo apt-get remove unity unity-2d

to completely remove the Unity

sudo apt-get remove unity unity-2d-places unity-2d unity-2d-panel unity-2d-spread unity-asset-pool unity-services unity-lens-files unity-lens-music unity-lens-applications gir1.2-unity-4.0 unity-common indicator-sound indicator-power indicator-appmenu libindicator6 indicator-application evolution-indicator indicator-datetime indicator-messages libnux-1.0-0 nuxtools

But you will need something in its place so you can either use gnome3 or gnome fallback if you want v2.

sudo apt-get install gdm gnome-shell

And im now a happy camper with no more unity using 12.04. Or if you dont wanna go though all that.. Xubuntu is your friend.

skompier
April 30th, 2012, 05:00 AM
I also removed Unity like sammyboy. No doom and gloom here. I'm using Gnome-shell and Cinnamon.

IMPORTANT: Before you remove Unity...make sure that you have Gnome-Shell or Cinnamon installed first.

diesal3
April 30th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I still have Unity there, but that is because I want to know why Unity is unsetting all of my locale settings.