PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Enable wobbly windows & desktop cube in ubuntu 12.04

Nando88
April 28th, 2012, 07:11 AM
I upgraded to Lubuntu 12.04, and saw that wobbly windows didn't work and the desktop cube didn't rotate, can someone please tell me how to fix this?
Thanks in advance!

tomatoe
April 28th, 2012, 08:17 AM
You have to enable them in compiz.

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Nando88
April 28th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I installed the compiz settings manager and enabled them, but the title bar disappears and the wobbly windows don't work.

jamesisin
April 29th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Agreed. I tried this solution as well and still no wobble.

tomatoe
April 29th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure, but you might need to enable nVidia drivers to enable wobbly windows and stuff like that. Be cause default drivers don't have 3D support. But as I said, not sure.

dbombtek
April 29th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Are the correct video drivers installed? If so then reinstall compriz and log back in.

jamesisin
April 29th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I show nothing in Additional Drivers which is where I suspect it ought to be found.

Thelinuxgeek
April 29th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Go to http://www.nvidia.com and download the correct graphics drivers from there.

tomatoe
April 29th, 2012, 07:29 PM
What graphic card do you have? If you have 6th series or higher you can just do this

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

And then enable it in additional drivers and then

sudo service lightdm restart

or just reboot.

jamesisin
April 29th, 2012, 08:37 PM
My video card is on-board in a Dell Studio D540:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/index?c=us&s=dhs&cs=19&l=en&servicetag=5JP6VH1

tomatoe
April 29th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Sorry, dude, don't know how to get 3D working on that graphic card. Instructions I gave will work only for nVidia cards.

jadtech
April 29th, 2012, 10:11 PM
i had the same trouble with my dell lap top I could not get 3d to work evn wit h the driver installed on 11.10 or 12.04 beta when i finish getting the release version I could boot ubuntu 3d same results as you all was there nothing worked scrolled and couldnt click the icons either ..

i cant help any father with this issue it was at the point my dell crashed and burned it is no longer ..

ubifree
May 1st, 2012, 09:52 PM
What graphic card do you have? If you have 6th series or higher you can just do this

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

And then enable it in additional drivers...

After installing nvidia-current it did not show up under Additional Drivers for me. So instead I activated the driver that was there already (not the post-release updates), restarted the laptop and then my wobbly windows were back again:). As an added bonus I could now also resume my laptop after suspending it. Until now it wouldn't do that after upgrading from 11.10 to 12.04.

livewire94
May 2nd, 2012, 01:07 AM
Does Wobbly Windows work in regular Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity too? I am hesitant to try it until I know it should work without crashes first. I am fairly new to Linux and really don't know what to do if it crashes other than hit reset.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4670 and am using the regular proprietary drivers under additional drivers.

Bouvet
May 2nd, 2012, 01:26 AM
Does Wobbly Windows work in regular Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity too? I am hesitant to try it until I know it should work without crashes first. I am fairly new to Linux and really don't know what to do if it crashes other than hit reset.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4670 and am using the regular proprietary drivers under additional drivers.

Good question. I'm knew to Linux as well and have always marveled
at the 'wobbly' window. I'd like to try it.

kelt65
May 4th, 2012, 01:47 PM
You just need compiz-config-settings-manager

cgkades
May 10th, 2012, 08:49 PM
You just need compiz-config-settings-manager

is that package somewhere special? i could not find it with apt-cache search compiz

hypnot0ad
June 28th, 2012, 03:02 AM
You have to enable them in compiz.

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

This worked perfect for me.