PDA

View Full Version : Why do you hate Unity?

Primefalcon
April 28th, 2012, 06:05 AM
this is a question diected purely at the people who hate Unity....

Do you really find unity that bad? Myself as a programmer I do like unity, it allows me to get at the programs that I want quckly without hving to use the mouse at all, and the new HUD is beatiful it allows me to have the bookmark toolbar in ff hidden since I now have a super quick way to launch bookmark items!

People I've spoken to who have no idea what linux even is that I demo Ubuntu to seem to really like it as well... So really what do you find that is so bad about unity? is it just hate of change or?

Rodney9
April 28th, 2012, 06:30 AM
I don't hate Unity, I hate using keyboards, I'm a lousy typist, I prefer the mouse.

So as I see it, Unity is aimed at keyboard users.

I like the simplicity of Xubuntu 12.04

Rodney

cbennett926
April 28th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Shouldn't this be in recurring discussions? Moderator!!!! :)

But, I just dislike the lack of smart auto-hide on the launcher now :'(

QIII
April 28th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I don't hate it.

I dislike it. I'd live with it on a mobile device. I realize that is where the world is going, and I'm not so old yet that I'm stubborn (OK, well sometimes I'm not stubborn. OK, well mostly I am. But I like puppies.)

As a software developer I don't care for it because it doesn't fit what I do.

That doesn't make it bad. It just means it's not for me.

Kubuntu has a "HUD" of sorts, too. If I click off in an open area and start typing I get a nice little box to type in an app I want to start. If I type "libre" I get a nice little drop-down with all of the Libre Office components to select from.

Primefalcon
April 28th, 2012, 07:04 AM
I agree Unity does need a better program browsing, have to open the menu.. switch to applications, show all installed and then clicking the filter is kinda hefty... and hopefull will be more refined in future versions...

However 99% of the time I know exactly what program I need, and simply pressing super and then type ge and hitting for launchpad say gedit is an extrmely quick way to launch an application

mferarri
April 28th, 2012, 07:07 AM
i HATE unity because:

1. it makes your system slow, slow, slow... (it's the vista scenario all over again. so counter productive for pc users)
2. big gaudy icons look ugly and more disorganised than gnome2/3. (were they trying form over function? or were trying to attract more kids?)
3. when trying to use it seriously, i found it very awkward to use and fumbled into alot of bugs in ubuntu 11.10 (Resolution failures, disappearing windows, themes missing, font sizes huge by default,mouse cursor dead zones...)
4. i like my top and bottom panel. and i like my file menu.
5. it keeps things hidden by making you search. <snip> icons? make it at least i could see the amount of apps i have (i dont keep useless apps)
6. if i wanted a dock i'd install docky.
7. have you ever experienced a crash with it? remember when you were u annoyed?
8. not practical at all if you have dual monitors
9. i dont have a tablet (if i did i think i'd use windows 8 instead of this)
10. how about releasing something that works? it seems like a beta, a laboratory experiment, unity shouldn't even have been released as it was.

... just my 2 cents.

Primefalcon
April 28th, 2012, 07:31 AM
i HATE unity because:

1. it makes your system slow, slow, slow... (it's the vista scenario all over again. so counter productive for pc users)
2. big gaudy icons look ugly and more disorganised than gnome2/3. (were they trying form over function? or were trying to attract more kids?)
3. when trying to use it seriously, i found it very awkward to use and fumbled into alot of bugs in ubuntu 11.10 (Resolution failures, disappearing windows, themes missing, font sizes huge by default,mouse cursor dead zones...)
5. it keeps things hidden by making you search. <snip> icons? make it at least i could see the amount of apps i have (i dont keep useless apps)
10. how about releasing something that works? it seems like a beta, a laboratory experiment, unity shouldn't even have been released as it was.

... just my 2 cents.
Yeah unity in 11.04 and 11.10 wwere a little slow.... 12.04 though.... give it a shot, its a lot faster than it used to be...

I honestly liked Unity from the start, but in earlier version it ys... was slow and had a few issues to the extent I switched over to LXDE but 12.04 as I said above is very very nice!

mferarri
April 28th, 2012, 08:04 AM
sure, when i first heard about it i thought it was going to be great as well. but the earlier releases got me so mad, that it led me to discover debian was the total opposite. debian squeeze is very stable, snappy and really, really similar to ubuntu the way i like it. Converting to using debian a great choice for me. the only slight disadvantage is that a wired internet connection is recommended during installation. but once you get past that, it's all good.

... man it was nice to see Gnome 2 again. In a sense everything is right where it's supposed to be again, and it just works!!

zombifier25
April 28th, 2012, 09:37 AM
i HATE unity because:

... just my 2 cents.
Unity in 11.04 and 11.10 is horribly slow and unusable. But in 12.04 the situation has improved a lot. Give it a try.

mferarri
April 28th, 2012, 12:07 PM
<snip>

fine... i'll give it a go again sometime. but i forgot to mention the most annoying thing about the newer ubuntu releases...

11. Advertisements are in the software centre making it incredibly slow and annoying!!!

ully-mick
April 28th, 2012, 01:14 PM
tried it in 11.04, didn't like it. went to fall back mode. tried it in 11.10, still didn't like it. tried gnome 3 shell, preferred that. I don't like side bar so I disabled it. don't need or want global menus as I rarely use full screen, so I took it off. I ended up using lots of extensions to get a gnome 2 clone.

I tried xfce which I liked & lxde which was ok. So when 12.04 came out I downloaded xubuntu and I'm loving it.

I've been using ubuntu since 2006 and was starting to get a bit disillusioned with it, but I'm happy again now :)

I don't hate unity, I dislike it. I have a top bar with drop down menus, no bottom bar, and awn at the bottom that auto-hides with my most commonly used programs. it's fast and is fully loaded in 50 seconds!

in the 6 years I've been using reading these forum I've never seen a post requesting a side bar. awn can be set at the side, but I've never seen a desktop screeshot with it, or any other.
I haven't read all the posts on here, or seen all the desktops, so I may have missed the clamour for sidebars ;)

mamamia88
April 28th, 2012, 04:08 PM
tried it in 11.04, didn't like it. went to fall back mode. tried it in 11.10, still didn't like it. tried gnome 3 shell, preferred that. I don't like side bar so I disabled it. don't need or want global menus as I rarely use full screen, so I took it off. I ended up using lots of extensions to get a gnome 2 clone.

I tried xfce which I liked & lxde which was ok. So when 12.04 came out I downloaded xubuntu and I'm loving it.

I've been using ubuntu since 2006 and was starting to get a bit disillusioned with it, but I'm happy again now :)

I don't hate unity, I dislike it. I have a top bar with drop down menus, no bottom bar, and awn at the bottom that auto-hides with my most commonly used programs. it's fast and is fully loaded in 50 seconds!

in the 6 years I've been using reading these forum I've never seen a post requesting a side bar. awn can be set at the side, but I've never seen a desktop screeshot with it, or any other.
I haven't read all the posts on here, or seen all the desktops, so I may have missed the clamour for sidebars ;)
Have you tried mate? it's literally gnome 2 and they have a ppa so it's super easy to install. Also I hate unity because it was originally a netbook interface but it's slow as heck on my netbook. My netbook would get so hot running it i would shut it down out of fear through my jeans. Running debian xfce now and the fan never gets past low setting

iponeverything
April 28th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I think that there should be new sub-forum called:

"Recurring Recurring Discussions"

linuxvstheworld
December 18th, 2012, 04:30 AM
I'm using very dated hardware and Unity is just fine for me, not Unity 2D but 3D is working fine for me, and it should be improved very soon, after all, it is a somewhat new Desktop environment.

click4851
December 18th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I hate it because for me its change for the sake of change....churn. I get absolutely no additional functionality out of it, and I get to relearn how to use my computer....to achieve what? More job security for DE developers? Do you want to play with your computer or do you want to use it?

HarveyRM
December 18th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I dont like the search feature. I know what i am going to use; panel launchers and the terminal are sufficient for me.
Ubuntu used to be known as the Most Sleek Distro. Unity has destroyed that image.

vasa1
December 18th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I think that there should be new sub-forum called:

"Recurring Recurring Discussions"
Another could be After all is said and done, more is said than done.

Mikeb85
December 19th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Well, I like Unity because of search from the dash, the global menu bar is the nicest I've used, HUD makes application menus searchable, and customizable scopes. I've tried switching away from Ubuntu, but it's the Unity DE that brings me back over and over.

nothingspecial
December 19th, 2012, 08:57 PM
The official thread is here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1884970

Closed.