PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS Pros/Cons???

NM5TF
April 28th, 2012, 06:03 AM
I have downloaded the .iso of 12.04 LTS to a CD & have been playing
with it to decide if I want to upgrade or not.

Other than the obvious difference in the desktop interface, ( is this
the infamous "Unity" I have heard about??? ), it seems to work very
much like 10.04

Looking at the posts on this forum about all the upgrade failures
when going from 11.10 to 12.04, should I expect the same results???

Would I be better off waiting for 12.04 to "mature" a little more
before making the commitment to upgrade??? :confused:

I have really been happy with 10.04, but understand that the LTS will
be coming to an end shortly.

Any responses would be appreciated

TIA,

Tommy

poonjabi
April 28th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I have downloaded the .iso of 12.04 LTS to a CD & have been playing
with it to decide if I want to upgrade or not.

Other than the obvious difference in the desktop interface, ( is this
the infamous "Unity" I have heard about??? ), it seems to work very
much like 10.04

Any responses would be appreciated

TIA,

Tommy

Try it out with a Live 12.04 USB Flash Drive, boot from that and see what you think. Best way to kick the tires. Can't hurt to try it like that.

No issues here. Very happy.

plucky
April 28th, 2012, 01:37 PM

It still has another year to go.

Your mileage may vary.I would wait until the load on the servers subside before trying to upgrade over the internet.
You should also be able to use the Live CD to upgrade (I prefer to use the Alternate Install CD) if you want to save downloading 700 + Mb of updates.

before making the commitment to upgrade???

Yes, In my opinion.

Good Luck

jadtech
April 28th, 2012, 01:46 PM
i have to tell ya from the results I been seeing here so far at this point if your at 10.04 now..

if it was me I would back allthe data up or files what ever is important and do a clean full instal no messing around ..

if you happy you could stay with 10'04 untill july like the wiki suggests ..

if you have a day or 2 to spare and you just want to play and learn do the dist-upgrade to 11.10 the upgrade from there is far more sucesfull, and all would be learning even if it failed in the end ..

QIII
April 28th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Remember that judging anything from the complaints here is subject to a nasty thing called "referral bias", which renders any conclusions drawn from this dataset invalid.

People come to forums like this when things go wrong, not when they go right. If you find 300 people with the same problem here, it may seem a lot. But you don't know about the other 20 million cases.

That said...

Since you have a year left on your current LTS and this one is supported for five, don't rush if you don't feel a burning need.

darkod
April 28th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Just to add, since 10.04 still has 1 year of support left you can easily wait until 12.04.1 comes out where they will iron out any issues noticed in 12.04 and then upgrade.
I also suggest using either the live cd or alternate cd and upgrade like that. It should be much better.

keepitsimpleengr
April 28th, 2012, 03:37 PM

I will be upgrading to 12.04 LTS but expect it to be a nightmare if it's like previous release upgrades. (I will be upgrading a 10.04 LTS, a 10.10, two 10.10 Mythbuntu, and an 11.10 on a poorly supported laptop).

10.04 LTS support has⋯in effect⋯stopped, I have to manually install the nVidia driver after each kernel upgrade as nvidia-current doesn't support my video-adapter. The Mythbuntu's are 10.10 because the 10.04 LTS wouldn't install with the graphics adapter (a still dormant bug).

For the Mythbuntu's, there is a Mythtv upgrade too, to 0.25 from 0.24.

Monitoring the forums until I decide to take the leaps. Probably start in a month or so.

But I assure you I will be making sector backups before each. And most assuredly I will be relying on this and http://www.mythtvtalk.com/forum/ to survive the ordeal.

blitzit
April 28th, 2012, 03:54 PM
As the others have rightly pointed out 10.04 still has a year long support left so you can wait and watch.

I was pretty much in the same state as yours but I wanted to change my version 'cause i was on it since 2 years straight, several drivers installed, failed, reinstalled, etc.

I backed up all my data, including settings and configuration files and did a fresh install of 12.04 removing 10.04 completely. Other than getting used to unity, which is a refreshing change, everything else seems to work perfectly well.

I would suggest you go ahead and try 12.04 out, with your data backed up securely. Its totally worth the while.\\:D/

P.S.
1) The installation is very quick.
2) Installation over older version of ubuntu doesn't cause any glitches even on a dual-boot system (I had Windows7 and ubuntu10.04, upgraded to Windows7 and 12.04).
3) The universal drivers with ubuntu have been re-enforced.
4) LibreOffice is in for OpenOffice (your shift is from 10.04 to 12.04)
5) gdm replaced with lightdm.

dBuster
April 28th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I have the download going now for the 12.04 64bit install.

I have my /home on a separate partition, at least I think it is still on its own partition ;)

1. Can someone point me towards a how-to or instructions for doing upgrades as such with the separate /home partition and such. I will be looking to go with an upgrade from 10.04.2 to 12.04.

2. Still playing around with a clean install or an upgrade. There are a lot of programs installed now that I technically do not really use but installed to try out and then decided against. So I believe a clean install and have a hand written list of the programs I use regularly nearby to install after the 12.04 installation.

3. Also, if I am remembering right, I can run a setup like 10.04 has for the desktop (gnome2 and shell?) instead of the (in my opinion) garbage unity. Is this correct?

I have had successes in the past going from 8.04 and upgrading other machines either incrementally or making the jump from one lts to another lts, however this will be the first time with a separate /home partition...

Thanks in advance...

Myrddin Emrys
April 28th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Also, if I am remembering right, I can run a setup like 10.04 has for the desktop (gnome2 and shell?) instead of the (in my opinion) garbage unity. Is this correct?

You have several options here. My favourite is the MATE desktop:

http://www.howtogeek.com/110052/how-to-install-the-mate-desktop-go-back-to-gnome-2-on-ubuntu/
http://mate-desktop.org/

This is an actively developed fork of Gnome 2 that can co-exist with Gnome 3 and Unity, and gives you exactly the same environment you had before.

Other options include Xfce (the xfce4 package should give you everything you need without all the extra Xubuntu stuff), the gnome-panel package (a Gnome 3 'classic' desktop which looks similar to but is more limited than the Gnome 2 equivalent), LXDE, and Cinnamon from Mint etc.

NM5TF
April 28th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I have gotten several good replies that pointed out that 10.04 will be
supported for another year. Based on this answer, and the following post,
I have decided to wait until July when 12.04.01 will be released, hopefully with the bugs "fixed".

"Re: Upgrading from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS
It is recommended that the OS be updated before it is upgraded. So, if 10.04 was updated then it would become 10.04.4 would it not?

I tested the upgrade path for both 10.04 and 11.10.

To do this I installed 10.04 specifically to follow these instructions

http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Testi...DesktopUpgrade

Note the command to be used.

Note also this comment from the release notes under the heading Upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Quote:
It is generally recommended that users of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS wait until the first point release, due in July, before upgrading.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePango.../UbuntuDesktop"

Thanks to all that responded,

Tommy