PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wired download at same speed

ArbiterOfTruth
April 28th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Hi all. My PC is dual booted with Win7 & Ubuntu 11.10. I had a 5mb connection for the longest time & I was able to get downloads from my ethernet at 600kb/s. Sometimes I would get a little bit higher, but the usual speed is 600. I recently upgraded my package to 15mb & in Win7 I am now downloading at 1.9mb/s max, however Ubuntu does not seem to pick up on the change & is still downloading at around 600kb/s. I even did the Firefox tweak, I did on Win7 but it downloads at the same speed as before.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Let me know what cmds to try. I expect you will want screenshots of those results.

jroa
April 28th, 2012, 02:11 AM
The file server probably has a bandwidth cap on it. If this is the case, then you will never be able to download any faster.

You could try to download from a BitTorrent if you want. You will probably get much better speeds. Here is a link to the official BitTorrents.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/alternative-downloads

ArbiterOfTruth
April 29th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Hey, thanks for replying. I could understand that if it was one or two servers or maybe even a few, but all? I have tried downloading different videos, ISOs, software etc. from lots of different places & I get the same max 600kb/s on Ubuntu but 1.9mb/s in Win7. I tried using Opera also & I got the same results. It just seems weird.