PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] upgrade dialog is not working. Alternate CD

excobra
April 27th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Hi

i am using 11.10, NOw i am trying to upgrade to 12.04 using alternate cd. (Please don't ask why i am using this method and not others).

i followed the procedure mentioned at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades)

i successfully created the directory using `

sudo mkdir -p /media/cdromthen i executed the command in terminal as instructed

sudo mount -o loop ~/Desktop/ubuntu-12.04-alternate-i386.iso /media/cdromit showed the folloing result in terminal

mount: warning: /media/cdrom seems to be mounted read-only.But after that now upgrade dialogue was shown,

so then i executed

gksu "sh /media/cdrom/cdromupgrade" by pressing alt+F2

even then there was no upgrade dialogue

so i tried again the same command but without commas("")

like this

gksu sh /media/cdrom/cdromupgrade
it did bring the upgrade dialogue,

then it says that i need to download the data as this much data needed , please see attached image
http://i47.tinypic.com/mb1uuw.png

Now the whole point is i cant use Internet to upgrade to 12.04. ans that is why i downloaded the alternate disc,

then it showed the following messages and end

http://i45.tinypic.com/f1w3k1.png

NO upgrade.

Please help how can i upgrade to 12.04 sing alternate disc.

darkod
April 27th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I don't know about the alternate cd but the latest versions offer the option to upgrade with the standard live cd. And I don't think it needs internet during the upgrade.

If you can get hold of the live cd, you can try that way.

haresear
April 27th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I don't know about the alternate cd but the latest versions offer the option to upgrade with the standard live cd. And I don't think it needs internet during the upgrade.

If you can get hold of the live cd, you can try that way.

I've tried the live ISO, but don't see that option. How do you get it to expose that option. The options I'm offered are:
1. Install along side existing OS(s)
2. Erase and use entire disk.
3. Something else (manual partitioning).

(One of the existing OS is U11.10.)

darkod
April 27th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I have no idea. Yesterday I was testing some scenarios in virtual box, and had 11.10 installed first. Then when I booted the 12.04 live cd into live mode first, and clicked the Install 12.04 icon, the option to upgrade 11.10 was there.

Now sure if it has anything to do with dual boot. I had only ubuntu in my test system.

ajohnson2371
April 28th, 2012, 01:20 AM
I've tried the live ISO, but don't see that option. How do you get it to expose that option. The options I'm offered are:
1. Install along side existing OS(s)
2. Erase and use entire disk.
3. Something else (manual partitioning).

(One of the existing OS is U11.10.)

From personal experience on this, as I'm doing it right now.
On the Live CD, the option to upgrade directly to 12.04 LTS is offered only when you have internet access. Not sure why, but that's the way it is.

To be on the safe side, I backed up files and cloned my drive onto an external drive just in case I needed to do a clean install.

excobra
April 28th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Ok everybody not sure about you guys but i have solved my problem.:guitar:

The real problem was update manager as i unchecked all the option of download from Internet in the software source and all other updates. Means i unchecked all the update sources.

Then i mounted the iso of alternate cd as mentioned in my first post and then i ran the command
gksu sh /media/cdrom/cdromupgrade
and from there i clicked on install upgrade and everything worked smoothly.

Thanks anyway for your time.:lolflag:

jetpeach
May 2nd, 2012, 12:28 AM
thanks for the followup, i have the same problem so am going to test your solution.

followup: it seems to be working now, all i had to do when asked whether to use the internet was select "no" isntead of yes (i initially had chosen yes thinking to save time and pacakages that were newer on the internet than on the DVD image would be updated, but this apparently causes problems...)