PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New installs or upgrades to kernel 2.6.32-41 fail to boot

tc0nn
April 27th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I don't know if this is specific to VMWare installs or all installs but I'm seeing this on my VMware ESXi 5.0 Lucid 10.4.4 vm's, as well as under fusion. If I do a apt-get dist-upgrade and allow it to install linux-image-2.6.32-41-server or if I create a new VM and do a brand new install with linux-image-server as the kernel choice, neither VM will boot properly. Boot process ends with an error pre-grub menu/prompt: error file not found you need to load the kernel first failed to boot both default and fallback entries vmware ubuntu upgrade

Workaround is to boot to a live CD, mount/chroot, uninstall 2.6.32-41 and then reboot to the older kernel. I haven't been able to isolate whether this is a grub issue or a kernel/initrd specific issue.

bmcgough
April 28th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Having the same problem on real hardware. Also not sure if this is a grub issue or kernel issue. I am seeing this with reiser on /boot and / partitions and can fix it by installing with ext4 on /boot and /.

tc0nn
April 30th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Having the same problem on real hardware. Also not sure if this is a grub issue or kernel issue. I am seeing this with reiser on /boot and / partitions and can fix it by installing with ext4 on /boot and /.

you might try a simple replacement of the kernel and see if that fixes it. Here's our fix:

apt-get install linux-image-2.6.32-40-server
apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.32-41-server

unfortunately we have to boot from a cd and chroot in just to do this. My specs are similar to yours. Boot/root w/reiser
/boot
/

guymauve
April 30th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Hello,

Same thing here... I try by commenting menu.lst entry related to 2.6.32-41 without success. With ubuntu server 10.04.4 LTS I think I can't chroot with "Rescue broken system"??

Thanks for help!

Guy

EDIT :
Maybe related : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dkms/+bug/991548

tc0nn
May 8th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Just clarifying, this has nothing to do with VMWare, this install/upgrade from the archive.canonical repo kills a brand new dell M610/lucid.

tc0nn
May 11th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Also seems to be specific to linux-image-2.6.32-41-server (not generic, generic seems to work fine)

daz101
May 16th, 2012, 12:30 AM
I don t run the server version and it also fails. The update shows as installed in synaptic but shows no sign in grub. I have manually updated grub to no effect.