PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrading 11.10 to 12.04 over network extremely slow

spcm0012
April 27th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the midst of updating from 11.10 to 12.04 over the network. Im at the stage 'Getting New Packages' and for whatever reason, the download speed is crawling at around 50kB/s. Normally my download speeds at around 1MB/s. Has anyone else experienced this, is there a way to speed this process up, as I dont want to spend 5 hours waiting before I can even begin to install these files.

Edit: Added an image of new speed. :'(

raziel09
April 27th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Unfortunately the issue that your having can't easily be resolved. As is the norm when a new version is released a large percentage of the community will upgrade to the latest version.

This mad rush over-taxes the servers. Don't worry your not alone with this issue

I am having to hold off the upgrade for a few days to let everything settle down, even upgrading some of the packages in 11.10 took longer than usual.

Will my download speed it advised that this could take about 15 hours to download the updates.

My advice is hold off my a few days and then re-try.

spcm0012
April 27th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the response!

I assumed it was some havoc on the server end of things. But figured it was worth a shot to ask the community. Turns out it was ;)

P.S.
Ive also noticed slow downloads on updates for 11.10.

Thanks again,

Mike.

Bucky Ball
April 27th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Ha! I started an Xubuntu install and ticked the 'Download updates while installing' box with out thinking and the install has been going for about three hours now. I realised it was taking so long at about the hour mark. Ooops. Now it has begun I can't really stop it without risking screwing things up. I'll leave it overnight and see what happens ...

I think our experiences prove it would be a good idea to hold off for awhile ... I noticed on a page somewhere tonight a list showing that the release version has not propagated to many servers in many countries yet.

* Update: As the GUI telling me what was going on had disappeared about an hour prior, I hit the spacebar to see if it might come back. After some whirring I get the original window asking if I want to install Ubuntu 12.04 and in what language ... I'll try again next weekend.

spcm0012
April 27th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Oooooo I'm glad I didn't hit the download updates while installing....

Best of luck with that one :P
I cancelled my update, I'll stick with 11.10 for the weekend and try again Monday morning.

alpinweiss88
April 27th, 2012, 11:48 PM
OK... so is there any way to cancel the upgrade without doing serious damage? Mine has been getting new packages for a couple of hours and is only 35% done. It says anywhere from 8 hrs to 1 day left. I should have waited, but didn't.

What are my options now?

PrinceXV
April 30th, 2012, 12:14 PM
It might be a little late at this point. But cancelling the upgrade should be fine.

The quickest way at this point to upgrade is to download the iso of 12.04 and stick it on a USB stick. Then boot off of it, then you'll get your usual Install / Try Ubuntu as well as an Update option.

spcm0012
April 30th, 2012, 01:45 PM
It might be a little late at this point. But cancelling the upgrade should be fine.

The quickest way at this point to upgrade is to download the iso of 12.04 and stick it on a USB stick. Then boot off of it, then you'll get your usual Install / Try Ubuntu as well as an Update option.

I was doing it this way originally, but had some issues as the installer would hang/freeze up amongst other things.

Either way, Im back to it monday morning, and have great speeds :)

alpinweiss88
April 30th, 2012, 02:29 PM

Well, instead of cancelling it I just went out for beers. :) By the time I got home, it was mostly done. I had to answer some prompts then it finished. It's actually KDE, but I've been using xfce for the last year or so. I decided to try out KDE again, and it had problems. So it's back to xfce, and I saw a new version of that was just released so I'll be upgrading that when it's available.

Jiggmin
August 26th, 2012, 06:12 AM
I am having the same problem, fortanetly I have 5 minutes until it starts the cleanup process. I will continue to update until it passes the cleanup process and see if everything is successfully updated and what-not.

Jiggmin
August 26th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Hey guys, I'm in the midst of updating from 11.10 to 12.04 over the network. Im at the stage 'Getting New Packages' and for whatever reason, the download speed is crawling at around 50kB/s. Normally my download speeds at around 1MB/s. Has anyone else experienced this, is there a way to speed this process up, as I dont want to spend 5 hours waiting before I can even begin to install these files.

Edit: Added an image of new speed. :'(
Id Just Wait It Out, not all computer predictions are absoloutely correct...

Jiggmin
August 26th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Finally got it to cleaning up, it should be started restarted computer here pretty soon.

Bucky Ball
August 26th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Hi Jiggmin. This is an old and dead thread and I have a feeling you are talking to yourself.

If you have a legitimate problem, please post a new thread. ;)

Thread Closed.