PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 12.04 upgrade kernel version seems wrong

Ron Jones
April 27th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I'f finished the upgrade to 12.04, and all seems to be working well.

However, when I reboot (after running update-grub) the java test at http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp tells me I'm running kernel 3.0.0-16-generic.

I thought 12.04 upgraded to 3.2?

matt_symes
April 27th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Hi

Open a terminal and type

uname -r

You'll be looking for kernel

3.2.0-23-generic

Kind regards

Ron Jones
April 27th, 2012, 04:11 PM
well, now I've gone and made a mess... I used synaptic to remove the 3.0.0 kernel image (because 3.2was installed in the upgrade), and ran grub-update.

upon reboot, I got the "cant find boot image" error. What's the best way to reconnect grub with the kernel image you want it to use?

jdeca57
April 27th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Not an answer to you last problem (removing the kernel, do you really think that helps?!) but I had the same problem and after simply waiting half an hour (and looking at the new system) I was presented with an upgrade to the last version. My kernel is now 3.2.0-24-generic according to the java test.

matt_symes
April 27th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Hi

well, now I've gone and made a mess... I used synaptic to remove the 3.0.0 kernel image (because 3.2was installed in the upgrade), and ran grub-update.

upon reboot, I got the "cant find boot image" error. What's the best way to reconnect grub with the kernel image you want it to use?

Boot into a live CD/USB and update grub.

That is what i would try first.

You can chroot into the install.

Did you have any special setup such as RAID or LVM ?

Kind regards

Ron Jones
April 27th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Hi

Boot into a live CD/USB and update grub.

That is what i would try first.

You can chroot into the install.

Did you have any special setup such as RAID or LVM ?

Kind regards

hmmm.... Yep, I'm downloading an install disc now...and, YES, I have software RAID configured on my install. My assumption is that I'll need to take special steps to keep it. Though I was really hoping that by downloading the 12.04-alternate-amd64.iso, it would automatically recognize the RAID setup on the discs and ask If i want to keep it.
???

Ron Jones
April 27th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I don't suppose there's a way to enter into the grub command line at the boot screen (which still shows 3.0.0-16-generic as a boot option, though selecting it still results in "error: file not found" & "error: you need to load the kernel first"), and probe for the correct image is there?

Ron Jones
April 28th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I got the issue resolved (got the machine booted up) by following the instructions here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

set root
linux /boot/vmlinux... root=
initrd /boot/initrd.img...
boot.

So, it looks as if this can be marked as "resolved." I'll start another thread for the remaining issue.