PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Do your laptops stick around long?

KebertX
April 27th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Teenager here! Saving up to by my first laptop before I run off to college!

I thought I was going to get an ASUS machine, and put in an honest attempt at getting a Windows Refund (without ending up in a legal battle over it).

After being tipped off about the idea of a Linux Laptop, the first site I saw was system76.com. I scoured the internet thoroughly, but you guys surely are the best at what you do (zaReason comes in second : )! However, one thing does strike me that I thought I should ask about.

knowledge76.com indicates to me that system76 has made many a laptop in its day. Yet only two remain on your website. Are all but the lemur and the pangolin discontinued? Never to return to the hands of the zealous consumer? I would be saddened to find out that this is the case.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in love with the Pangolin Performance! If all past options were available, I believe I would choose it anyways. Having relatively little variety seems to be a common attribute of linux laptop sites, which makes economic sense to me... But now I have to worry that the this machine won't be available anymore by the end of the summer, when I can actually afford it.

As an early-interested consumer, I thought I'd ask how long This Machine (https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/panp9) is going to be available on your website. I hope to have it ordered by the end of August if by then it does not go the way of the other lovely lost machines cataloged on your wiki.

~~~~=: )

Side note, pure frivolity: Is there a way to order a computer with a tux logo in place of the ubuntu logo that is in place of the Windows logo on the super key? zaReason has this on their customize page, and I find that option to be delightful! :lolfag: Just thought I'd ask.

Keep up all your exceptional work! At least until September! :cool:

isantop
April 27th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Teenager here! Saving up to by my first laptop before I run off to college!

I thought I was going to get an ASUS machine, and put in an honest attempt at getting a Windows Refund (without ending up in a legal battle over it).

After being tipped off about the idea of a Linux Laptop, the first site I saw was system76.com. I scoured the internet thoroughly, but you guys surely are the best at what you do (zaReason comes in second : )! However, one thing does strike me that I thought I should ask about.

knowledge76.com indicates to me that system76 has made many a laptop in its day. Yet only two remain on your website. Are all but the lemur and the pangolin discontinued? Never to return to the hands of the zealous consumer? I would be saddened to find out that this is the case.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in love with the Pangolin Performance! If all past options were available, I believe I would choose it anyways. Having relatively little variety seems to be a common attribute of linux laptop sites, which makes economic sense to me... But now I have to worry that the this machine won't be available anymore by the end of the summer, when I can actually afford it.

As an early-interested consumer, I thought I'd ask how long This Machine (https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/panp9) is going to be available on your website. I hope to have it ordered by the end of August if by then it does not go the way of the other lovely lost machines cataloged on your wiki.

~~~~=: )

Side note, pure frivolity: Is there a way to order a computer with a tux logo in place of the ubuntu logo that is in place of the Windows logo on the super key? zaReason has this on their customize page, and I find that option to be delightful! :lolfag: Just thought I'd ask.

Keep up all your exceptional work! At least until September! :cool:

We're always dedicated to providing high-end laptops in addition to our mainstream lineup. We're currently out of stock of the other models, but we're working on new versions with better specs. We don't yet have any detailed information on price, specs, or date, but we're working very hard to get them out as soon as possible. In short, we are working to have some more powerful options ready out there.

KebertX
April 28th, 2012, 04:17 AM
We're always dedicated to providing high-end laptops in addition to our mainstream lineup. We're currently out of stock of the other models, but we're working on new versions with better specs. We don't yet have any detailed information on price, specs, or date, but we're working very hard to get them out as soon as possible. In short, we are working to have some more powerful options ready out there.
You, sir, are exactly what I like to hear. I can't wait to have one of these machines! So... to my liking.