PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade Path plan recommendations

macrohard
April 27th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Ubu Community,

I am currently looking at going to the LTS 12.04 from 11.10, but wondering after reading some installation issues, I was considering the best upgrade path.

It seems from what I have been reading a number problems that appear to be related to partial upgrade issues or problems with GRUB and booting into other operating systems like Windows.

I have right now a 11.10 install that takes up most of a 1 TB drive on my Dell Inspirion 620. I have a small Windows 7 partition as well that I rarely ever use.

I believe the best approach for this upgrade is to backup all the data in my Home directory over to my external drive, do a complete backup on the Windows 7 partition as well to the external, secure a copy of Boot-Repair and burn it to CD in the case of problems in GRUB, know all the partitions locations in my system, then do the upgrade.

Would there be any other good advice as well that I might want to consider for the upgrade? I am trying to limit any possible downtime issues if I do have a problem.

dino99
April 27th, 2012, 02:20 PM
backing is a good idea, but if "you know what you are doing" and have a separate /home, then your data is safe there.

about upgrading:
- right now its the huge rush, so servers are very slow
- as experience has teached, waiting a couple of weeks after release let you do an install more quietly and most of the release bugs are known and/or fixed.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11843514&postcount=9