PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install appeared to succeed, but no bootloader

glibdud
April 27th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I have a system with storage as follows:

1 SSD: 3 partitions; 1 swap, 1 Debian stable, 1 to be used for Xubuntu
1 HDD: Data

I attempted to install Xubuntu 12.04 64-bit last night. The install appeared to run fine, and claimed success, but after rebooting, the Debian-installed bootloader still comes up. I had configured it to install to the MBR of the SSD (which should have replaced the existing bootloader), and ran through the installation a second time to be sure. Still nothing. Forcing it to try to boot from the HDD, it dropped me at a Grub rescue prompt. I don't know if that was pre-existing, or if that's what Xubuntu tried to install.

This was an install from CD. I ran the media check, which came back ok. Are there any known issues I may have fallen victim to?

glibdud
April 27th, 2012, 07:56 PM
In case anyone else comes across this with a similar issue, the problem appeared to be UEFI related. I'm unclear on the technical details, since I've not worked much at all with UEFI before, but when I looked more closely at my PC's boot menu, the DVD drive showed up twice: once prefixed with UEFI, once with BIOS. I had been using UEFI because it was at the top of the list. Using the BIOS selection, the installation appears to have completed and installed the bootloader successfully.

oldfred
April 28th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Were you booting in UEFI or BIOS mode before? That determines whether you should use UEFI or BIOS mode to install.