PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 cant get usb or windows install to work

theginge99
April 27th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I have tried both the Windows installer and a USB stick to install precise pangolin on my PC but I only ever seem to get as far as the initial loading screen (where it says Ubuntu and has the little dots underneath which flash different colours as it loads).

I have heard that I should maybe change some grub settings but I dont even get as far as the first options screen anyway.

I currently have windows 7 running on my Dell Vostro 400 (see the specs at the end of this post) I have installed all the other versions of Ubuntu perfectly fine except 11.10 which had graphics card problems.

In addition to the below specs I have a GForce GE 5500 Dual head graphics card, but I have tried removing this and using the inbuilt card which still doexsnt make a difference.

Any clue as to where I should go from here would be apreciated.

Thanks

Specs

VOSTRO 400 : INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6550 (2.3

1MEMORY : 4096MB (4X1024) 667MHZ DDR2 DUA

1HARD DRIVE : 1TB (2X500GB) SERIAL ATA NO

1OPTICAL DRIVE : 16X DVD+/-RW DRIVE

1GRAPHICS : INTEGRATED INTEL GRAPHICS MED

1AUDIO : INTEGRATED HDA 7.1 DOLBY DIGITAL

1WIRELESS : INTERNAL WIRELESS PCI CARD

zdeuyo
April 27th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I have tried both the Windows installer and a USB stick to install precise pangolin on my PC but I only ever seem to get as far as the initial loading screen (where it says Ubuntu and has the little dots underneath which flash different colours as it loads).

I have heard that I should maybe change some grub settings but I dont even get as far as the first options screen anyway.

I currently have windows 7 running on my Dell Vostro 400 (see the specs at the end of this post) I have installed all the other versions of Ubuntu perfectly fine except 11.10 which had graphics card problems.

In addition to the below specs I have a GForce GE 5500 Dual head graphics card, but I have tried removing this and using the inbuilt card which still doexsnt make a difference.

Any clue as to where I should go from here would be apreciated.

Thanks

Specs

VOSTRO 400 : INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6550 (2.3

1MEMORY : 4096MB (4X1024) 667MHZ DDR2 DUA

1HARD DRIVE : 1TB (2X500GB) SERIAL ATA NO

1OPTICAL DRIVE : 16X DVD+/-RW DRIVE

1GRAPHICS : INTEGRATED INTEL GRAPHICS MED

1AUDIO : INTEGRATED HDA 7.1 DOLBY DIGITAL

1WIRELESS : INTERNAL WIRELESS PCI CARD

Hello,

When the loading screen comes up on the USB install hit the up arrow key and this should solve the problem and bring up a huge guided menu. Please let me know if this solves the problem.

All the best.

theginge99
April 28th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the help, I tried what you said, when I pressed the up arrow I didn't get any options, instead it displayed the text you get running up the screen during boot, I assumed this was a good thing, but it stopped after a few seconds and displayed an error saying that my firmware needed updating quoting an address for B43 firmware.

I have encountered this B43 thing before on an old laptop, I have no way of installing this firmware until the system loads (which it wont) and the location it quotes to download the firmware doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 28th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Try to install again; however, do not select download update while installing or install this third-party software that are offered on the second screen of the installer. You can do those after the install completes.