PDA

View Full Version : Around Windows, dualboot and back again

rasmus91
April 27th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Hi every awesome community member out there.

I bet some of you remember me, and some don't. I started some different threads, but the one with the most views must've been the one about the Infamous Dell latitude E6400. That was the last time i ran Ubuntu, and only Ubuntu on a computer. Since then I've used Dual Boot. Windows for games, and Ubuntu for everything creative OR intelligent that i like to do.

Today, i have a Desktop as well as my Acer Aspire 5745G. The Desktop is for gaming, thus it has Windows (sadly, i know) but i simply do not have the time for making every game i have run in wine. I've spent a lot of time in wine already, but I simply do not have the time to mess around with it anymore.

As I am writing this, i just finished installing Ubuntu 12.04 on my Acer laptop. As one of the few people that does, i can say that i really appreciate what Ubuntu has become, what with the Unity and all. I jumped onto the Ubuntu Train back with 7.10 being the newest. I still remember the feeling of it being superior to anything i had ever tried with a computer. I was the only one in my highschool using it, and becuase of its pure awesomeness, i was also one of the few who wasn't very impressed with windows 7.

I decided yesterday that I was done with dualbooting on my Laptop. I didn't want the option of starting windows on a machine thats meant for serious work, and serious computing.

I am currently studying something called "Medialogy" in Denmark, and as i solved a hard problem in C++ the other day, I realized the need for me to improve my programming skills greatly, furthermore i feel like improving my skills with Linux.

Over the years I have benefited a lot from the Open Source community, and i feel like giving something back, which I will try to. I must admit that in a way it feels halfhearted to only run Linux on one computer, but it will have to do for now. if anyone has a project that they need a n00b on who knows how to use programs like GIMP, and who knows the basics of Java programming as well as arduino programming, point me in your direction. Eventually i will probably figure out something to do myself to improve my skills, because that is my main concern at the moment... i mean, besides from the upcoming exams and everything of course.

Happy Ubuntu to everyone, and thanks for wasting some of your precious time reading through my rambling. I am proud to be a member of this community. :)