PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No banshee, no kaffeine in 12.04?

johann_p
April 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Are you serious, Canonical? These are my favorite programs, especially kaffeine.
What are the suggested replacements for these?
I stopped the upgrade for now ... just silently removing those programs from my computer is really not nice. :-x

qamelian
April 27th, 2012, 11:29 AM
It was announced quite a while ago tha Rhythmbox would return to replace Banshee as the default app in 12.04. You can still install Bashee ans Kaffeine from the Software Centre if you want them.

oldos2er
April 27th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Kaffeine is in the universe repository.

johann_p
April 27th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks -- I had assumed that those packages would be removed and not available any more as they are listed between "No longer needed" and "Removed".

grahammechanical
April 27th, 2012, 09:44 PM
May be they were going to be upgraded. Old version being removed and new version to replace them.

It is possible that if you had gone ahead with the upgrade then you would have found both Rhythmbox and Banshee in the sound indicator menu and Kaffeine as well.

I do know that in the past Openoffice was replaced by Libreoffice during an upgrade but I did not experience Banshee being replaced by Rhythmbox five months ago when I upgraded 11.10 to 12.04 development branch.

Kaffeine has never been in default Ubuntu. And Banshee was not long in, then it was to be out.

Regards.