PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 11.10 to 12.04

xTheAngrySockx
April 27th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Hi all,
Just wondering how I go about upgrading to 12.04, this morning (Australia time) I was able to see the update button but I wasn't able to do so as I had to leave home rather soon. But now that I am home again, I have the time to update but whenever I go to the update manager the option to upgrade is not there. What should I do?

kohoutek1
April 27th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Click the "Settings" button in the bottom left corner of the Update Manager window, then look for "Notify of new Ubuntu versions" at the bottom of the Settings window. Select "For any new version" or "For LTS versions only." The default setting is "Never."

xTheAngrySockx
April 27th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I've already set it to "For any new version" and restarted my machine but still no luck, is there another way to do it that will still keep all of my files/folders/networks/applications/settings?

kohoutek1
April 27th, 2012, 01:01 PM
If you're still not getting the upgrade in Update Manager, try the terminal command, if you haven't yet:

sudo apt-get dist-upgradeNote that with this command, you might not get the Ubuntu GUI (someone else might know about this point better than me). If no GUI, you can still respond with keyboard in terminal.

As for keeping current applications and settings, Ubuntu upgrade will do that by default, so in normal cases, you needn't worry. A lot of people are wondering about it.

But here are two recent threads on the subject:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966388

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966333

IWantFroyo
April 27th, 2012, 01:19 PM
sudo do-release-upgrade

IWantFroyo
April 27th, 2012, 01:21 PM
If you're still not getting the upgrade in Update Manager, try the terminal command, if you haven't yet:

sudo apt-get dist-upgradeNote that with this command, you might not get the Ubuntu GUI (someone else might know about this point better than me). If no GUI, you can still respond with keyboard in terminal.

As for keeping current applications and settings, Ubuntu upgrade will do that by default, so in normal cases, you needn't worry. A lot of people are wondering about it.

But here are two recent threads on the subject:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966388

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966333

That is not the command to upgrade to a new distribution. At least, if it is, I'm really missing something, because I used that command to upgrade old distribution versions and it never took me to 11.10.

kohoutek1
April 27th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for that Froyo. I hope
sudo do-release-upgrade

does the trick.

nariub
April 27th, 2012, 04:13 PM
you may have to try with a -d on the end if no new release is offered

I would suggest,
make sure you have your mirrors set, main may be exceptionally busy for a while, so set them to the in-country mirror.

sudo vi /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades
and make sure the prompt is right

for 10.04
prompt=lts

for 11.10
prompt=normal

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

which will give you the freshest updates for your current system
then

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Derspankster
April 27th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

sudo do-release-upgrade
Checking for a new ubuntu release
No new release found

ratcheer
April 27th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I was on a fully upgraded Beta 12.04, so I thought I was on the latest release. "sudo apt-get upgrade" showed no packages to install and none held.

But this thread showed me I was supposed to be on kernel -24, while I was still on -23.

So I ran "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"and it upgraded me to kernel -24. do-release-upgrade shows "No new release found". I am confused, but I guess all's well that ends well.

Tim

teledyn
April 27th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I am having a panic attack :(

I chose to upgrade my laptop using the Install button from the live CD and it DID ask me if I wanted to upgrade or to reinstall or install in parallel, and I DID choose to upgrade but ...

it asked me for my login details as if it was about to do a fresh install, and it did not complain about that user name being in use, and the title of the installation window says "install"

am I screwed? does the upgrade option not work, or is this just sloppy prompting? what did it do with that login info (and photo) that I gave it? am I a fool for not just doing the old reliable command line upgrade?

teledyn
April 27th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I did a Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get the shell, then did mount to see what was where, found the /target directory mapped to my old drive, did an ls /target/home/garym and saw a very comforting collection of old friends still in there so it seems that yes, it IS doing an upgrade just as it had promised and the whole bit about asking for details to create a login account was just sloppy prompting.

Please PLEASE in the future can we have some sort of visual confirmation about this being an UPGRADE? The 'information' pages are really nice, but it would be nicer still if they included some/any information pertinent to the process ;)

xTheAngrySockx
April 28th, 2012, 12:19 AM
When trying sudo apt-get update
it said: "0% connecting to proxy @ ********* [20*.**.***.*]" Would the proxy for my school be the problem?

Note: I'm using my home network to do this.

xTheAngrySockx
April 28th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Thank you all for your help and input, I finally got it to work after I deleted all of my networking settings and then reconnected to my home network and restarted my machine.
Maybe a network disconnect then reconnect will work for others, if not keep trying.

nariub
April 28th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

sudo do-release-upgrade
No new release found

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

the -d is important for some reason.

I check and see nothing
~$ sudo do-release-upgrade -c
[sudo] password for marione:
No new release found

But when I run the graphic version
~$ sudo update-manager -d