PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Grub issues - Installed 12.04 alongside windows

Dave.YNA
April 27th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Hello Everybody,

I am having a strange grub issue and would like to see if anyone can offer some wisdom.

In a nutshell after installing 12.04 alongside Windows I do not get an option to boot into Ubuntu at start up. Now I know this is not new to the forums but where my issue slightly differs is that it appears that grub has installed to my Pen Drive which I used to install the OS.

- If I boot normally, I go straight to windows
- If I change the boot order and put my USB stick in, it boots to GRUB and I can select the OS.
- Another strange thing is I am not able to boot into the "liveCD" on the stick.

- To make sure I had not installed the OS on the pen drive by mistake I checked my partions on my hard drive and also check the free space available on the stick before and after installing some new programs / language packs etc and the pen drive has the same amount of space so I can only assume it Ubuntu installed correctly and there is an issue with grub.

Any advice to install grub to the correct place?

I saw the boot-repair app listed on another post but was not sure if it would be applicable to me given the USB drive curve ball.

Cheers

zdeuyo
April 27th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Hello Everybody,

I am having a strange grub issue and would like to see if anyone can offer some wisdom.

In a nutshell after installing 12.04 alongside Windows I do not get an option to boot into Ubuntu at start up. Now I know this is not new to the forums but where my issue slightly differs is that it appears that grub has installed to my Pen Drive which I used to install the OS.

- If I boot normally, I go straight to windows
- If I change the boot order and put my USB stick in, it boots to GRUB and I can select the OS.
- Another strange thing is I am not able to boot into the "liveCD" on the stick.

- To make sure I had not installed the OS on the pen drive by mistake I checked my partions on my hard drive and also check the free space available on the stick before and after installing some new programs / language packs etc and the pen drive has the same amount of space so I can only assume it Ubuntu installed correctly and there is an issue with grub.

Any advice to install grub to the correct place?

I saw the boot-repair app listed on another post but was not sure if it would be applicable to me given the USB drive curve ball.

Cheers

Hello,

I had a similar problem and Boot-Repair fixed it about 1 hour ago on this computer I am writing this from. Here is the link

Link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Follow the instructions exactly on that page.

Let me know if it works.

Dave.YNA
April 27th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Hey, thanks for the advice... I will give it a try and let you know. I am not in a place where I can tinker now :)

Appreciated

zdeuyo
April 29th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Hello,

Did this solve your issue?

Dave.YNA
May 3rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
Hi Sorry for the delay! I literally have only just had chance to try it.

Yes it worked, thanks! Will mark this thread as solved.