PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Will suspending laptop during upgrade cause problems?

kohoutek1
April 27th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Hi.

The download stage of the 12.04 upgrade is going more slowly than I anticipated, but that's fine. Could be due to any number of factors on the network, and at least it is going.

But I may have to close the lid on my laptop, move to another location, and get on a different wireless network before the whole upgrade has finished. If I were to do that, would the "Precise" Distribution Upgrade application be able to resume where it left off, or would there be potential issues?

Another way to ask is: Did they make this application to resume where it left off in the event of an OS suspend?8-[

Thanks!

zdeuyo
April 27th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Hi.

The download stage of the 12.04 upgrade is going more slowly than I anticipated, but that's fine. Could be due to any number of factors on the network, and at least it is going.

But I may have to close the lid on my laptop, move to another location, and get on a different wireless network before the whole upgrade has finished. If I were to do that, would the "Precise" Distribution Upgrade application be able to resume where it left off, or would there be potential issues?

Another way to ask is: Did they make this application to resume where it left off in the event of an OS suspend?8-[

Thanks!

Hello,

To answer your question. The Ubuntu Update Utility was meant to be a full process, not partial. It is possible that you could but you risk corruption or data loss. I updates 12.04 on 4 computers today and it took 3 hours+. Be patient, it is well worth it.

kohoutek1
April 27th, 2012, 10:05 AM
The Ubuntu Update Utility was meant to be a full process, not partial. It is possible that you could but you risk corruption or data loss. I updates 12.04 on 4 computers today and it took 3 hours+. Be patient, it is well worth it.

Yep. Not taking any risks if I can help it. It's now in the installation phase, with "1 hour 20 minutes" estimated to go. Problem is, the building I'm in might close before it finishes! Should have waited til I got home, I guess.

I remember the upgrade to 11.10 going much faster. Thought I could let the installation run while doing other things at the office.