PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a review of LFS

nolag
April 27th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Has anyone tried it? I'm wondering if it's worth doing/trying. What is learned from it, and do you think it was worth doing?

cariboo
April 27th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I did it several years ago, it's a fun project, but it really isn't relevant to day to day Linux usage and system administration.

It's sort of like installing Arch (http://www.archlinux.org/), another fun project, but not a lot of good if you want to learn about using and maintaining a Linux based operating system.

Bandit
April 27th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Has anyone tried it? I'm wondering if it's worth doing/trying. What is learned from it, and do you think it was worth doing?

I did it one time. Took about two weeks after work each day for a few hours. Well I got up to the part where I needed to compile Gnome2. Dependecy A required Dependency B, then Dep B required Dep C, then Dep c required Dep A. So I realized this was BS running around in circles. So there went my hopes for my own Distro. These days I save my self some Sanaity and just find one that works for you and customize the heck out of it.

samalex
April 27th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I did it a few months ago. It took about a week of working with it off and on to get everything installed then a few days to get the final product to finally boot. The kernel compile needs some tweaking based on your system, but it's not too difficult to get going.

The final product is a VERY basic system, kinda like back in the day when you booted an MS-DOS boot disk with just command.com, msdos.sys, and io.sys... not much else you can do at that point.

It's a wonderful learning experience, and I encourage anyone who wants to 'learn' linux to do it at least once. I would suggest doing it in a virtual environment so you can take snapshots along the way plus you can work with it remotely when away from home.