PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xubuntu 10.04 LTS to Xubuntu 12.04 LTS upgrade not available

v200
April 27th, 2012, 04:18 AM
I am using Xubuntu 10.04 LTS
In the upgrade settings I have selected "Long Term Releases" only.
In my update server I had tried the ubuntu main server, India server (in.archive.ubuntu.com because I am located in India), I also let ubuntu select the best server for me... it selected one in China.

After trying all those servers I still did not get the Xubuntu 12.04 upgrade in my upgrade manager... When I switch upgrade settings to "Normal releases" I do get the 10.10 upgrade but I don't wanna do that. I also don't want to switch to ubuntu then upgrade and then switch to xubuntu.

Did anybody else see this problem? Or am I doing something wrong? Or is the upgrade option not available for Xubuntu users yet? :(

Edit: I also noticed that on http://xubuntu.org/upgrading/ page does not display the 12.04 upgrade.

techsupport
April 27th, 2012, 04:22 AM
You can't get to 12.04 from there. You would need to do a fresh install of Ubuntu and add the Xubuntu desktop environment. Users are reporting issues with the live boot disc of Xubuntu 12.04 at the moment, so you are better off just installing Ubuntu 12.04, and adding the Xubuntu Team PPA and installing the Xubuntu Desktop Environment on top of Ubuntu 12.04 and removing Ubuntu desktop.

:guitar:

v200
April 27th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the help techsupport. I appreciate it. I'll go for the fresh install of ubuntu and then switch to xubuntu.

techsupport
April 27th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the help techsupport. I appreciate it. I'll go for the fresh install of ubuntu and then switch to xubuntu.

Here you go:

http://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-12-04-lts-aka-precise-pangolin/

sasciame
May 7th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Is there another option if we do not want to do a fresh install?

vVvSHADOWvVv
May 7th, 2012, 09:46 PM
You can't get to 12.04 from there. You would need to do a fresh install of Ubuntu and add the Xubuntu desktop environment. Users are reporting issues with the live boot disc of Xubuntu 12.04 at the moment, so you are better off just installing Ubuntu 12.04, and adding the Xubuntu Team PPA and installing the Xubuntu Desktop Environment on top of Ubuntu 12.04 and removing Ubuntu desktop.

:guitar:

NOW it's solved.

This is incorrect, you must sequentially upgrade from 10 to 11 to 12. There is no need to do a fresh install. Please stop posting solutions that are incorrect without reading the Ubuntu docs!

ṤⱧǠᴆŐƜ
shadowsgovernment.com

mips
May 7th, 2012, 09:50 PM
NOW it's solved.

This is incorrect, you must sequentially upgrade from 10 to 11 to 12. There is no need to do a fresh install. Please stop posting solutions that are incorrect without reading the Ubuntu docs!

Good luck with that, if one upgrade can bork as system imagine what four can do...
Then there is the time and bandwidth wasted...

vVvSHADOWvVv
May 7th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Good luck with that, if one upgrade can bork as system imagine what four can do...
Then there is the time and bandwidth wasted...

I have never had an issue except small ones. the reason that many dist upgrades fail is becuase the host system isn't fully updated prior to the dist upgrade

ṤⱧǠᴆŐƜ
shadowsgovernment.com

sasciame
May 8th, 2012, 12:10 AM
NOW it's solved.

ṤⱧǠᴆŐƜ
shadowsgovernment.com

So the proper way to upgrade from one LTS release to another is to go from 10.04 to 10.10 to 11.04 to 11.10, to 12.04?

This doesn't seem right. Why would there be an option in the Update Manager to only show when LTS upgrades are available, (only to not show it)? I am still relatively new at this, so I could be missing something here :p

I just want to make sure that is correct before I do 4 upgrades.

vVvSHADOWvVv
May 8th, 2012, 12:50 AM
So the proper way to upgrade from one LTS release to another is to go from 10.04 to 10.10 to 11.04 to 11.10, to 12.04?

This doesn't seem right. Why would there be an option in the Update Manager to only show when LTS upgrades are available, (only to not show it)? I am still relatively new at this, so I could be missing something here :p

I just want to make sure that is correct before I do 4 upgrades.

I just remember reading this on an Ubuntu doc at one point.
ṤⱧǠᴆŐƜ

Slim Odds
May 8th, 2012, 03:39 AM
I just remember reading this on an Ubuntu doc at one point.
ṤⱧǠᴆŐƜ
You read wrong.... LTS to LTS is supported (for Ubuntu anyway).

Clancy_s
May 8th, 2012, 06:03 AM
You read wrong.... LTS to LTS is supported (for Ubuntu anyway).

For Ubuntu the PP release notes say that direct upgrade 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS will be coming in July, after the .1 fixes for 12.04. It will then show up in the 10.04 update manager.

I suspect the same thing applies to Xubuntu though I've not specifically checked.

In the release notes they also gave a link to instructions on how to upgrade now if you don't want to wait but it seemed too much of a fuss for me, so I'm waiting for July.

hth

Slim Odds
May 8th, 2012, 05:49 PM
For Ubuntu the PP release notes say that direct upgrade 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS will be coming in July, after the .1 fixes for 12.04. It will then show up in the 10.04 update manager.

I suspect the same thing applies to Xubuntu though I've not specifically checked.

In the release notes they also gave a link to instructions on how to upgrade now if you don't want to wait but it seemed too much of a fuss for me, so I'm waiting for July.

hth
Thanks for the clarification.... I think that anyone who waited two years to upgrade can wait a little longer....

RockTeam
February 27th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Should I worry about upgrade from Xubuntu 10.04 to 12.04? Is it possible to lose something (applications or something else) as a result of an upgrade? What there is concern?

Of course the main rule is to make backup first. But anyway I asked this questions because I haven't practiced it that task yet. Thanks!