PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 12.04 still shows as beta in update manager

colmeweb
April 27th, 2012, 01:18 AM
So I have just run update-manager -d and the 12.04 upgrade does show up in the update manager. But when I check it the notes say that it is still the beta.

Is there a way around this? Or do I just have to wait a few days for it to update?

Thanks.

LinuxFan999
April 27th, 2012, 02:02 AM
You should download an ISO image of Ubuntu 12.04, burn it to a disc, and do a clean installation of Ubuntu.

jadtech
April 27th, 2012, 02:11 AM
go to you update manager and change servers then in a term window type each of these one at a time .

sudo apt-get update
sudo do-release-upgrade

Bucky Ball
April 27th, 2012, 02:14 AM
You should download an ISO image of Ubuntu 12.04, burn it to a disc, and do a clean installation of Ubuntu.

Why? The beta would be updated to the release version on the first update (or soon thereafter once 12.04 is sufficiently propogated).

As suggested, change mirrors and see if that makes any difference. Either way, you will get to the released version if you install beta and just keep updating regularly once installed.

Xelort
April 27th, 2012, 02:40 AM
go to you update manager and change servers

Did that. From "United States" to "Main Server". Then "check". Closed, then "sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update". The message sayin "still beta, do not install in production machines" stills there when "sudo update-manager -d"->"upgrade".

This behaviour is the same on my home desktop machine (10.04 amd64) and my job's terminal (10.04 x86).

then in a term window type each of these one at a time .

sudo apt-get update
sudo do-release-upgrade

:

user@computername:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade -c
Checking for a new ubuntu release
No new release found
user@computername:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade -s
No new release found
user@computername:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade
No new release found

jadtech
April 27th, 2012, 02:42 AM

just for your edification there are some right here on forum , who are down loading and installing 12.04 from ISO and are showing beta kernel :)

others doing clean install having the same issues as those doing upgrades , at this point it come down to 2 things causing the same issues #1 is video card and drive ..

jadtech
April 27th, 2012, 02:52 AM
if you typed this in the terminal
sudo do-release-upgrade

have used US servers several times today my self and recommend them to others here and have had no issues with the release being ready to go since 12.30 am, it cold be server are just to over loaded right now too ..

you could do a google search for more mirrors and Ftp sites as well there are many out there..

Xelort
April 27th, 2012, 03:03 AM
if you typed this in the terminal
sudo do-release-upgrade
:

user@computername:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade -c
No new release found
user@computername:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade -s
No new release found
user@computername:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade
No new release found
Yes, i did tiped that.

have used US servers several times today my self and recommend them to others here and have had no issues with the release being ready to go since 12.30 am ..
There's no "ready to go" problem: i can upgrade, through "update-manager -d". The problem is, there's a message saying "it's still beta".

I CAN'T risk install an unstable system on my day to day job's computer. But i NEED to upgrade in order to use some packages (like liquidsoap v1 instead of 0.9), so i do have some haste about installing 12.04 (been waiting, and keep waiting until july sucks in my case).

I need to know why 12.04 says "still beta, do not install in production" when upgrading; if it's just some kind of bad changelog, or 12.04 is indeed still beta.

Thanks.

Bucky Ball
April 27th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Have told you likely cause: Servers are still propagating. Give it some time ...

If you are intending an install on a production machine I would be using 10.04 LTS for a month or two before even bothering ... beta or release version. ;)

PS: Shouting will not help the cause ...

techsupport
April 27th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Have told you likely cause: Servers are still propagating. Give it some time ...

If you are intending an install on a production machine I would be using 10.04 LTS for a month or two before even bothering ... beta or release version. ;)

Well, you have to be careful about saying stuff like this or there are some users who will jump all over you about the fact that this is the same thing as the last release, and the one before that. And that this is "normal".

Would I personally want to install Ubuntu 12.04 or upgrade? I think the best recommendation is build yourselves a live stick and test it first and see if there was anything I could find wrong first, just be on the conservative side.

Bucky Ball
April 27th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Well, you have to be careful about saying stuff like this or there are some users who will jump all over you about the fact that this is the same thing as the last release, and the one before that. And that this is "normal".

? Which bit of 'stuff' exactly? Don't follow ... it is 'normal' for me, at least, and other users to wait for a month or two after release. Makes sense on a production machine running LTS releases. (Makes sense anyway.) Check the 12.04 threads on the forum at the moment; this is 'normal' after an official release.

Always check how a new release is going to work with your setup by running from the CD first ...

jadtech
April 27th, 2012, 05:24 AM
? Which bit of 'stuff' exactly? Don't follow ... it is 'normal' for me, at least, and other users to wait for a month or two after release. Makes sense on a production machine running LTS releases. (Makes sense anyway.) Check the 12.04 threads on the forum at the moment; this is 'normal' after an official release.

Always check how a new release is going to work with your setup by running from the CD first ...

your giving the same advice most everyone else has been all along when it comes to needing your computer for income and production , #1 rule is if it isnt broke why try to fix it , and do you absolutely need the lastest and greatest before its at that point ..

Xelort
April 27th, 2012, 02:14 PM

So, it's NOT still beta then. Right?
Great news.

I've tested 12.04 for months on my netbook. In beta stage, the Canonical people keeps updating and fixing things like mad (thank you for that), and that's usually the main problem behind system unstability.
I don't need a full tested system, but one out of the beta stage; i can rid a bug or two, but cant risk being under constant and unstable mass updates. And i need to upgrade, because a lot of things happened since 10.04, and installing newer software on 10.04 is a package nightmare (i already broke an installation once, not nice at all).
So, the beta status is key on my decision about upgrading, not some kind of fear about big untested/unfixed bugs.

Sorry. I felt people was answering to me without reading what i was saying.

colmeweb
April 28th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Thank you everybody for the help. I have decided to do a clean install after all. When looking at everything and reading some other posts it just seemed the easiest way.

Thanks again.